Translate

Wednesday 3 June 2009

Feast of St. Charles Lwanga & Uganda Martyrs

The state/government has long been notorious. In ancient time, there were tyrants. Historians can put the blame of all the sufferings of the people on a person, the king. To counteract the evils of tyrants, people invented the concept of God. Governments and religions were locked into mortal combats throughout history. If history can be any guide, no government has been able to stamp out any religions successfully. Religions seem to feed on persecutions. Isn't it paradoxical? They become stronger when they suffer more persecutions. I always joke with my students. If you want to destroy a religion, feed it well, give it a lot of advantages to corrupt its priests and bishops. It will die out. If you fuel it with persecutions, it will prosper. Today, the Catholic Church celebrates the Feast of St. Charles Lwanga. Not only did the blood of martyrs in the first century give birth to the Christian Church Sanguis martyrum - semen christianorum. in the first century, it did the same in the 19th century Uganda.
Nowadays, we have few tyrants. Rather, we have many unfair social systems. The Church does not fight against cruel or even mad kings. She has to fight for social justice. Going back to the book of Exodus, the Church pledges to liberate people from tyrannical systems.
Today, we continue with the story of Tobit. A new character enters the story. She is Sarah. More about her later.
Bad things happen to good people. Tobit was doing charity, burying the dead. What reward did he get in return? Blinded by the fresh dropping of a bird! If I were Tobit, I would protest to God. I might even curse myself because I could not curse God. I could only curse His creation instead. From what he had been doing, Tobit must have been a very healthy and active man. Now, suddenly he was imprisoned, immobilized. This feeling must be unbearably painful. Granted that Tobit had been too rash in jumping into conclusion about the kid, Anna's retort "You seem to know everything!" (Tobit 2:14) hurt this imprisoned soul very much. Tobit wept and prayed in anguish (Tobit 3:1). We have a lot to learn from the prayer of this noble soul.
Righteous art thou, O Lord; all thy deeds and all thy ways are mercy and truth, and thou dost render true and righteous judgment for ever.
Remember me and look favorably upon me; do not punish me for my sins and for my unwitting offences and those which my fathers committed before thee
(Tobit 3:2-3).
Though his charities were rewarded with misfortune, Tobit did not complain. He still insisted that God was righteous, merciful and truthful. God's mind is infinitely greater than ours. Who can understand and pass judgment on His actions? Since we do not know the full picture, it is better to reserve our complaints for a latter time. Modern society encourages assertiveness. Very often, our assertions turn out to be poorly thought out. We have a lot to learn from Tobit who, in his prayer, had put God on the defensive. You who are righteous, look at my misfortunes. You should know the right things you are expected to do!
Instead of bargaining with God for a good turn of fortunes with his charities in hand, Tobit chose to confess his sins instead. He knew that the good work he had done was insignificant in the eyes of God. His charities were not good enough bargaining chips. Only arrogant people would think that their achievements were high. Well, Tobit's charity was surely highly commendable in man's eyes. But Tobit was now dealing with God not mortals. Tobit knew very well that he had no trump cards in his hand. The best chance was to lead a low card, to beg God not to punish his sins and his unwitting offences. To relieve him of false reproaches and the great sorrow within him, Tobit begged God to take up his soul.
And now deal with me according to thy pleasure; command my spirit to be taken up, that I may depart and become dust. For it is better for me to die than to live, because I have heard false reproaches, and great is the sorrow within me. Command that I now be released from my distress to go to the eternal abode; do not turn thy face away from me (Tobit 3:6).
At the same time, Sarah at Ecbatana in Media also prayed for death to relieve her of reproaches. She was married to seven husbands, each of whom was killed by an evil demon Asmodeus before their marriage consummated (Tobit 3:7-8). Sarah was reproached by her maids!
Do you not know that you strangle your husbands? You already have had seven and have had no benefit from any of them.
Why do you beat us? If they are dead, go with them! May we never see a son or daughter of yours!
(Tobit 3:8b-9)
Their tongues were pitiless and sharp indeed. Instead of showing compassion for this poor widow, these maids cursed their mistress! Thus Sarah prayed.
And now, O Lord, I have turned my eyes and my face toward thee.
Command that I be released from the earth and that I hear reproach no more.
Thou knowest, O Lord, that I am innocent of any sin with man,
and that I did not stain my name or the name of my father in the land of my captivity. I am my father's only child, and he has no child to be his heir, no near kinsman or kinsman's son for whom I should keep myself as wife. Already seven husbands of mine are dead. Why should I live? But if it be not pleasing to thee to take my life, command that respect be shown to me and pity be taken upon me, and that I hear reproach no more
(Tobit 3:12-15)
She was a good daughter. She did not want to stain the name of her father who was already cursed without a heir. Unlike old Tobit, Sarah's prayer was more aggressive. If God does not want to take her life, give her respect! Sarah was really bold!
In both cases, honour was the keynote. False reproaches were not tolerated.

Dear Lord, I am nothing and I have nothing to offer but my life. I pray that I can be of humble service for You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment