Translate

Friday 18 January 2008

Cost-Benefit Analysis

It is a pity that great men like Samuel did not leave any good children. Like the old priest Eli, whom he had served in his boyhood, whose two sons were "worthless men and had no regard for the Lord" (1 Samuel 2:12), Samuel also had two sons. When Samuel became old, he made his sons judges over Israel (1 Samuel 8:1). Yet, his sons did not walk in his ways, took bribes and perverted justice (1 Samuel 8:3).
Being the Judge over all of Israel, Samuel had a very busy schedule. He went on a circuit year by year to Bethel, Gilgal and Mizpah; and he judged Israel in all these places (1 Samuel 7:16). Can we conclude from Samuel's case that you need to pay a price in order to be a great man? Samuel simply had no time to take care of the rearing of his sons. Luckily for Samuel, he did not have to pay too heavy a price for this trade-off. His sons were corrupt, but the Bible is silent about their demise (at least, not that I am aware of). However, Eli's two sons had extracted a heavy toll on him. They died in the battle in which the Art of Covenant was captured by the Philistines. When a messenger brought this bad news to Eli, Eli fell over backward from his seat and died (1 Samuel 4:18).
Back to our story, the Israelites came before Samuel to demand an appointment of a king to rule over them like all the nations because:
  1. Samuel was already old.
  2. His sons were bad, did not walk in his ways (1 Samuel 8:5).
Later, the Israelites listed their expectations on kings:
  1. He would play the ceremonial role of a king like all the nations.
  2. He would go out before the Israelites and fight their battles (1 Samuel 8:20).
No doubt, vanity must have been one of the factors in this demand of appointing a king. However, the development of the society itself demanded a more highly organized central government to carry out defence and building projects. I cannot blame the Israelites for this. Can I?
Samuel did not see it this way. He was offended. His ego was hurt. God had to console him and persuade him to comply with the people's demand. "Hearken to the voice of the people in all that they say to you; for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them" (1 Samuel 8:7).
OK. God had all along been their king! Now, they wanted a human king instead. From our perspective, we will be amazed how stupid they were. Samuel listed all the evils a human king would inflict on the people:
  1. He would conscript their sons into battles (8:11-12).
  2. He would drag their daughters into his palace to serve him (8:13).
  3. He would take away their fields, vineyards, orchids and their produce (8:14-15).
  4. He would take away their servants and cattle (8:16).
  5. He would take away their flocks and made them slaves in the end (8:17).
They would be very stupid to allow such a person to walk over them. But, were they?
A king is more physically tangible. You can actually hear him, see him and catch him doing bad things red-handed. He could never become an absolute monarch because he is placed between God and men. Above him, there is still a God to watch over them. God (or even the people) would dethrone him any time he did not do his job properly. The cost? Feed his appetite. The benefit? Glory, vanity, prosperity and security.
But God is different. He is intangible. You cannot hear or speak to Him directly. You need a middleman, a Samuel of some sort. God is the Giver of the Law and is above the Law. He defines what is right and what is wrong. He can even bend physical laws to work miracles. In short, God is beyond your control. The cost? You only have to offer sacrifices to God and He would not take away your sons and daughters etc. But He is unpredictable and uncontrollable. Therefore, I don't think the Israelites were stupid to choose a human king over a God-king. The consequences were history.
Back to Samuel. He did not consciously do a cost-benefit analysis to become God's prophet. Samuel did not choose to be one. Hannah offered him. God took him. So, we cannot blame Samuel for being a 'lousy' father.
A few years ago when I contemplated the possibility to become a perpetual deacon, God gave me Symphorian. So, I thought being a perpetual deacon might not be my vocation. Furthermore, I have been rather hesitant because Hilary, my eldest son, has not been practising his faith for a long time. I feel that I am not keeping my household and my health well enough. I have to give up the thought of becoming a perpetual deacon. But after reading the story of Samuel, I want to reconsider seriously this vocation again.

My God, I have been serving You and my neighbours but not devotedly enough. How shall I proceed? Show me the way ahead. Guide my steps so that I may come closer to You day by day. I pray for my son Hilary. I am confident that the piety I picked up from my father is flowing in his bloodstream. Bring him home. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment