Translate

Wednesday 26 August 2009

Things a teacher can be proud of

Approaching the end of August, there are only a few more days to go before the new school year commences. Many teachers have already started attending meetings, preparing lessons and planning activities for the upcoming year. Teachers in Hong Kong always shy away from telling their counterparts in mainland China or overseas how much they are paid a month. It is because Hong Kong teachers are probably the highest paid teachers in the world. True, we have to take care of a much larger class of students, to cover a more intensive curriculum and to handle more clerical work ourselves. People in the society expect us to deliver results because most of us are paid by the government. The Hong Kong SAR government has adopted the mentality of an entrepreneur. The government officials, especially those education officials, always talk about money for value and about being accountable to tax-payers etc. In short, they are the most discouraging superiors rather than the most supportive stakeholders for the frontline teachers.

If teaching is such a frustrating job, why don't you quit?
Well, I have to admit that there is a huge inertia inside the teaching profession. You get used to its routines very quickly. You enjoy nearly absolute, unchallenged authority probably with the exception of teachers teaching in lower banding schools. You don't want to change unless you are experiencing unspeakable frustrations. Let's take another perspective. The job-satisfaction must be huge. Otherwise, you cannot stay long. So, what is this job-satisfaction?
I don't know what other teachers might think about job-satisfaction. As for me, mixing with young people prevents me from ageing. But the greatest satisfaction is to see that your students take you seriously, that they benefit from your sharing. Of course, if they become professionals contributing to the society, it is a bonus.

In all these, I share the same view with St. Paul. For him, the believers were his crown of glory.
For what is our hope or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?
For you are our glory and joy
 (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20).
For me, the performance of my students is my glory and my joy. Science teachers do not share my luck. If students behave politely or conduct their life according to justice, nobody can scientifically trace the connection with Physics or Additional Mathematics. What about public examination results? Well, if students score many A's, people naturally think that it is the contribution of tutorial centres rather than the science teachers. As an RS teacher, I am in a better position. If students score distinctions in public examination, it is because of their diligence because no tutorial centre offers RS courses. If my students follow the precepts of the Bible in their life, can I not be proud when Lord Jesus comes again? My students are not my "product". We share the joy of life. I thank God for giving me the blessing to teach RS throughout my whole teaching career.

St. Paul thanked God because the Thessalonians took his gospel seriously.
And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
In the same way, I should also thank God when my students take my teaching seriously. I should also thank God if my students benefit from my teaching.
As an RS teacher, I also share an evangelization mission. In this area, I have to admit that I have not been successful.
for you know how, like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you
to lead a life worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory
 (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12).
Telling my students that there is a glorious Kingdom of God waiting for them is not attractive anymore nowadays. Then, where comes the motivation to lead a life worthy of God? I suppose setting an example can influence them. If you are keen on Chinese Literature, you will love it and enjoy it. Your students will be able to detect the joy that animates you. You must love God first before you can influence people to lead a life worthy of God.
Similarly, St. Paul has this to say.
You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our behavior to you believers (1 Thessalonians 2:10).
At first glance, Paul was too arrogant and boastful. Shouldn't an evangelist be humble? I agree that the writing has been too green. This is a signature style early in his writing career. Gradually, Paul wrote in a more subtle manner. For the time being, he was direct to be blunt. Yet, he was telling the truth.
In his preaching, he earned his own living, not willing to put burden on the community (1 Thessalonians 2:9). He set up an exemplary, blameless, righteous and holy life for the believers to copy. The believers could follow him to lead a life worthy of God. On Judgment Day, these believers will become the crown of glory for Paul.
I too have to demonstrate my passion for God and for the Bible. Hopefully, some of my students may follow and lead a life worthy of God. On Judgment Day, I can be proud of my students.

Dear Lord, You teach us to judge a tree with its fruits (Matthew 12:33). I pray for my students so that they can be fruits good for the society. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment