Translate

Saturday 22 August 2009

Queenship of Mary (Year B)

I got up early in the morning because today I had to attend a written test administrated by Fr. George Zee, S.J. together with 4 other permanent deacon aspirants. In the years I attended the Biblical Institute, it took me about 45 minutes to get to Kowloon Wah Yan from my school in Hung Shui Kiu. My timing was not as good today because I began my journey not from school but from home. My usual practice is to have my breakfast and morning prayer at the McDonald's before I take the LRT. This morning, I listened to the tiny voice, bought a bun instead of eating breakfast at the McDonald's. I took the West Rail directly, reciting my morning prayer on the train. By the time I reached the vicinity of Wah Yan, I still had thirteen minutes. So, I could enjoy a noodle breakfast in the fast food shop I frequently patronized in the three years I attended the Biblical Institute. The shop owner still recognized me. How warm! When I arrived, I was five minutes late. The other four candidates had just started. Anyway, the tiny voice proves to be right most of the time. It is my fault not to follow its advice frequently enough.

I was caught unprepared because the written test turned out to be a personality test. Well, had I been told explicitly beforehand, I would have prepared and the result would not have been accurate, right?
The test consists of several components. First of all, I had to fill in a questionnaire, specifically designed for young aspirants. It focuses more on the childhood experience and the relations with the parents and siblings. Of course, drawing pictures seems to be a routine. The last part proved to be the most difficult for me. I had to write down eight different feelings which came up frequently within this month. For each such feeling, I also had to write down the occasions in which such a feeling arose and gave an explanation why such a feeling came up.
This is summer holiday and I stayed at home reading most of the time. There were not many events and my feelings were rather steady and calm. I managed to write down two positive feelings which were then followed by four negative feelings and for each one of them, I was able to write down two to three events. It took me quite a long time before I was able to write down the seventh one. I had tried very hard to listen to the tiny voice. I could not. Probably some kind of repression had been working to block the feeling from surfacing to my consciousness. I gave up, let go to relax a bit. Then, it dawned to me that for the last seven years, my working relations with the two principals were not good and I had the feeling that my efforts had not been appreciated. I was not able to write down the eighth feeling. But I am sure Fr. George Zee is very experienced. I think I have supplied him with enough materials to analyze my personality to see whether I am a suitable candidate.
At last, each one of us had an interview with Fr. Zee. I came last because I was the last to arrive and the last to finish my assignments. Fr. Zee was very warm, supportive and non-judgmental. He suffered from throat cancer and had undergone operation. Indeed, he had difficulty speaking aloud to us. A year before, Margaret had invited me to pray for his health. I am glad to see that Fr. Zee seems to be recovering. May the motherly Queen of Heaven continue to intercede for the health of this servant who has devoted his whole life to seek the greater glory of the Lord.

The La Salle '79 graduates were celebrating their thirtieth anniversary. I was invited to join them. It was a pity that this event crashed with the birthday of Symphorian. I would not stay behind to join them for cocktail reception and dinner. I could only join their photo session at five. I am glad to meet many old colleagues: Messrs Gaggino, Chiu (Taipan), Shum Mou Kei, John Au, Albert Loong, Cheung Ting Por, Peter Lee, Lau Kon Ting, Y.Y. Kan, Peter Cheung, Leung Ngan Kwan etc. They are healthy and lively. Mr. John Au even came to La Salle to coach the students soccer, I believe. Brother Patrick came down from the quarters to join us.
I am also thrilled to see so many old students come together. They had to come to me to introduce themselves because though I could still recognize their faces, the physiques of many of them had changed a lot. It was impossible to associate their names with their faces even if I could remember all their names. There is no question about the organization skills of these wonderful boys. Their dedication as well as the sense of belonging is an envy of many other schools. Boys, I am proud of you. La Salle was and still is truly something more.

Dear Lord, You made the Blessed Virgin to be our Mother and our Queen. You have demonstrated the destiny of her children. May we look up to our Queen and Mother in Heaven, to follow her footsteps so that Your will be done on us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment