Translate

Friday 28 August 2009

Feast of St. Augustine (Year B)

The Catholic Church celebrates the feast day of St. Augustine today. Yesterday, we celebrated the feast day of his mother St. Monica who had prayed for his conversion for 17 years. The bond between mother and son is very strong. The story of St. Augustine demonstrated it well. It took 17 years for this Prodigal Son to return home. It wasn't too late. St. Monica was able to spend about half a year of quality life together with this converted son.

Saturnia is a good girl. She visited grandmother and spent a night in Chai Wan. My younger brother invited her to try out living in Chai Wan so that it would be easier for her to travel to Hong Kong University to study. We did not expect any miracle. Grandmother did not stop her drinking for just one evening. What a pity! She deprives herself of an opportunity to live one sober day, to build a warm relationship with her granddaughter she is so proud of. Poor mum, she has been doing a lot of things which turn out to alienate herself with her family members and close relatives. Of course, it is a deep issue and we cannot fantasize converting an alcoholic in just one day.
Saturnia is also a sensitive girl. She could feel the emotional pressure my father and young brother suffer. She knows that she is too young to handle this. Therefore, she decided not to live in Chai Wan in her university years. My wife and me told her that she was a brave girl. She had already done a terrific job, trying to build up a meaningful relationship with an alcoholic grandmother.
I have been teaching the topic of addiction in CEE RS for about ten years. Theoretically, an addiction victim (drug, gambling, alcohol etc.) brings havoc to his family and his friends. Yet, I can feel it only when my own fingers get burnt.
Dear Lord, how long will my parents and younger brother continue to suffer before my mother is able to quit? Have mercy on us Lord.

After praising the good performance of the Thessalonians and encouraging them to endure afflictions, St. Paul turned to their problems. He told them to abstain from unchastity (1 Thessalonians 4:3), to take a wife in holiness and honour (1 Thessalonians 4:4). Nobody should wrong his brother in this matter (1 Thessalonians 4:6). I suppose St. Paul was talking about adultery. Interesting enough, in this early epistle, St. Paul had already hinted at a very mature view on marriage. Though St. Paul did not write it out explicitly, he expected husbands and wives to sanctify themselves in marriage.
For God has not called us for uncleanness, but in holiness.
Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you
 (1 Thessalonians 4:7-8).
Therefore, it is a bit surprising to read some very negative views on marriage in the first Epistle to the Corinthians.

We are called to lead a life in holiness but it is difficult to see the transcendental dimension in our daily life. It seems to be very abstract. So, how are we able to see what it means to be "called in holiness"?
Last evening, I was trying to get to St. Joseph's Church in Kowloon Bay to attend the requiem mass for Stephen Wong at 8. I checked the bus company webpage and found a 268C whose terminus is in Long Ping West Rail Station. I could have taken any Yuen Long LRT to Shui Bin Station to take the bus. I missed a train. The next Yuen Long train would arrive 7 minutes later. Yet, a 751 LRT came which could take me to the Tin Shui Wai West Rail Station from which I could go to Long Ping. I am a rather impatient man. I prefer moving to waiting. So I jumped onto the 751. In hindsight, I found it a bad decision.
When I left the Long Ping Station and was standing in the mini-bus terminus which I was familiar, I discovered my mistake. I did not know where the bus terminus was! I attempted searching it for some time and asked a shopkeeper who directed me to the wrong bus terminus. I was running out of time. So I gave up searching and walked to the 268C bus stop in Yuen Long. That was not my usual practice, not my modus operandi. Thank God, by the time I reached the bus stop, a 268C just arrived. Had I insisted on searching the terminus, I would have missed this coach which took me to St. Joseph's just in time.
In this incident, I could see God frustrating me so that I was able to catch the coach just in time. Have I seen the transcendental dimension in daily reality?

Dear Lord, teach us so that we are able to relate the daily reality to You and Your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment