Translate

Saturday 8 November 2008

Do what I teach or Do what I do?

Nowadays, teaching in a school is more like baby-sitting. Instead of describing our job as education, it is more appropriate to label it schooling. Society has advanced to such an extent that specialization is extensive. A Chemistry teacher knows only chemistry. Put it in another way, subject teachers are so specialized that they find it impossible to cross subject boundaries. Specialization narrows their vision of a teacher. Manners, discipline, morality and personality development are beyond their expertise. It is none of their business. Many teachers of the younger generation do not feel it their obligation to care about the building up of an appropriate value system for their students.
I am in a better position in the sense that I teach Ethics and Religious Studies. The character formation of my students is my concern and my teaching duties. I feel blessed as I am paid to read the Bible. And it works both ways. In telling my students not to gamble, I do not gamble, not even buying Mark Six. (But I have to confess that I did take part in 'joint-ventures' once or twice. I did not want to spoil their fun.) However, I cannot tell my students not to smoke because I myself smoke pipe. I picked up this habit all the way back to the good old days in the Psychology Department where all tutors, lecturers and professors smoked, except one --- the Rev. Kvan who made deep impressions on his students.
Once, Matthew criticised the Pharisees harshly.
The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat;
so practice and observe whatever they tell you, but not what they do; for they preach, but do not practice
(Matthew 23:2-3).
St. Paul was a Pharisee. He must have been the exception and consequently a good teacher. In this epistle to the Philippians, he demonstrated very well the quality of a good teacher.
Firstly, he showed his care of the church members.
I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord.
And I ask you also, true yokefellow, help these women, for they have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life
(Philippians 4:2-3).
He personally appealed to the two ladies. He sought the community to get involved in the reconciliation of the two women, giving them an opportunity to practise what they learned from Paul.
Secondly, Paul gave them sound advice: to rejoice, to think in a positive manner, to focus on the true, the honourable, the just, the pure, the lovely, the gracious, the excellent and the praise-worthy (Philippians 4:8)
Thirdly, he taught by sharing his experience.
Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content.
I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want.
I can do all things in him who strengthens me
(Philippians 4:11-13).
Lastly, he did not forget to praise the Philippians often.
Paul was a great teacher because he could confidently tell his readers to do what he did, not just what he taught.
What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do; and the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:9).
One last remark before I leave the Philippians. Paul did not quote any Old Testament text in this epistle. He did not quote in the epistles to Philemon, Titus and the Thessalonians.

My dear Advocate, as a teacher, I pray for myself and my colleagues so that we may be able to tell our students to do what we do, not just what we teach. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment