Translate

Thursday 13 November 2008

Philemon & Onesimus

We do not know how the books in the New Testament were collected. Paul had written many epistles to churches and individuals. Some survived and were included in the New Testament canon. Some were lost forever. Probably there are more than 2 epistles to the Corinthians. Probably Peter wrote more than two epistles.
Philemon must have been a rich man, an important personality in the early church. His house might have been a regular meeting place, a house-church, for the local Christians. He had a runaway slave, Onesimus, whom Paul was sending back to. Sending a runaway slave back to his master spells death. Therefore, Paul wrote this letter, probably to accompany Onesimus, to ensure his safety. We have no more clues about Philemon, nor about Onesimus. We don't know why Onesimus ran away in the first place. Did Philemon ill-treat his slaves? Or had Onesimus stolen something from Philemon? All these details are out of our reach. Only Paul's letter survives. So, let's take a look at his rhetorics.
It began with the usual greeting.
Then, Paul praised Philemon for his love and faith in Jesus and fellow believers (Philemon 1:5)
Philemon must have been very generous, offering his house for the meetings of the believers. In Paul's words,
the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you. (Philemon 1:7).
So, Philemon must have occupied an important role in the early church so that his generous actions refreshed the hearts of the believers.
After praising him, Paul ordered Philemon to accept Onesimus back. But his wordings had been so skilful that the recipient did not feel forced to carry out Paul's command. Rather, Philemon should thank Paul for giving a chance to practise his Christian charity. Paul could have commanded Philemon to accept this runaway slave. Yet, out of love's sake, he chose to appeal to the conscience of Philemon.
Accordingly, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do what is required,
yet for love's sake I prefer to appeal to you -- I, Paul, an ambassador and now a prisoner also for Christ Jesus --
I appeal to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment.
(Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful to you and to me.)
  (Philemon 1:8-11)
but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will (Philemon 1:14).
But in order to guarantee the safety of Onesimus, to ensure that Philemon would not refuse, Paul volunteered to shoulder all responsibility. Yet at the same time, he hinted at the great debt Philemon owed him.
So if you consider me your partner, receive him as you would receive me.
If he has wronged you at all, or owes you anything, charge that to my account.
I, Paul, write this with my own hand, I will repay it -- to say nothing of your owing me even your own self
(Philemon 1:17-19).
How could Philemon decline this forced "offer"?
Charity alone is not enough. We need to build up rhetorical skills so as to get things done.

My dear Advocate, in time of need, You will speak through us to bear witness for You. I humbly pray You. When time comes, help me speak, to convince my boss to switch back using English for Ethics and Religious Studies. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment