Translate

Tuesday 18 November 2008

How to prepare for the Last Judgment? (II)

Today, we continue to read the book of Revelation, and study how Jesus passes judgments on the remaining three churches.
To the church of Sardis, Jesus was described as
him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars (Revelation 3:1b).
Though this church was alive in name, she was dead (Revelation 3:1c). Jesus did not find her work perfect in the sight of God (Revelation 3:2).
Jesus advised her to remember what she heard at the beginning, keep it and repent (Revelation 3:3a).
Jesus' judgment: He who conquers shall be clad thus in white garments, and I will not blot his name out of the book of life; I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels (Revelation 3:5).
To the church of Philadelphia, Jesus was described as
the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one shall shut, who shuts and no one opens (Revelation 3:7b).
This title does not appear in the earlier chapters. It came out suddenly. This text actually comes from Isaiah.
And I will place on his shoulder the key of the house of David; he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open (Isaiah 22:22).
It refers to Eliakim, the son of Hilkiah.
When Jesus gave the keys of the kingdom of heaven to Peter, he said similar things to him.
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven (Matthew 16:19).
Later, Jesus said similar things to all disciples.
Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven (Matthew 18:18).
In the gospel of Matthew, Jesus had already passed on the key to Peter. Why did the author of Revelation pass the key back to Jesus? Or are there more than one key to the kingdom of heaven? Is Christianity only one of the many gateways to heaven?
Jesus did not criticize this church. He only praised her.
I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut; I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name (Revelation 3:8).
Jesus' judgment: He who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God; never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name (Revelation 3:12).
To the church of Laodicea, Jesus was described as:
the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation (Revelation 3:14b).
The problem of this church was that she was neither cold nor fervent. She was only lukewarm (Revelation 3:16). She was unaware of her own needs (Revelations 3:17).
Jesus' advice: Those whom I love, I reprove and chasten; so be zealous and repent (Revelation 3:19).
Jesus' judgment: He who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I myself conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne (Revelation 3:21).
Which church do you want to find yourself in? Remember, the church is what her members made of. If you are unable to find satisfaction (knowing God, opportunities to practise your faith etc.), sooner or later you will leave. Therefore, the judgments Jesus passes on these churches are also judgments passed on us. Keep this in mind.

My Lord, without Your support, we are but nothing. You are the way. Guide us home. We are weak. Strengthen our legs and arms. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment