Translate

Wednesday 12 November 2008

Feast of St. Josaphat of Polotsk

St. Josaphat (1580-1623) of Polotsk was an Eastern Orthodox bishop. He was a martyr trying to bring a part of the Easter Orthodox Church into union with the Roman Catholic Church. In remembering his heroic acts, we also wonder how bloodthirsty man can be.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God (Matthew 5:9).
Titus 3 continues to provide advice to those who oversee the local churches as bishops. Bishops are a public office in the sense that they have to deal with many different people. Therefore, it was and is necessary for bishops to be diplomatic and tactful in dealing with all walks of life.
But avoid stupid controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels over the law, for they are unprofitable and futile.
As for a man who is factious, after admonishing him once or twice, have nothing more to do with him,
knowing that such a person is perverted and sinful; he is self-condemned
(Titus 3:9-11).
Therefore, bishops should refrain from falling into unprofitable controversies. Controversies are unprofitable because you cannot win people over with controversies. Heated arguments will not win people over your side of the argument. Most of the time, they only hardened your opponents' position.
It is interesting to see that genealogies were popular in those days. People were eager to establish their links towards famous people in ancient time. Matthew and Luke did the same in establishing the link of Jesus with David, Abraham and Adam.
In dealing with heretics, Paul advised Titus to argue with them once or twice only. In Paul's eyes, these people were self-condemned. It is not within our capacity to bring them back into the fold. As a teacher, an aging teacher, I can feel this very vividly. When I was young, I was energetic and able to mix with my students well. They were eager to listen to you. Nowadays, the generation gap is huge and I am not as interesting as I was in my younger days. Not many students would heed my admonitions.
We ourselves should not be arrogant. Paul reminded us of our evil past. Everyone has a story. Some good, some bad. If we are lucky enough to receive eternal life, it is all because of God's grace, not our own merits.
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by men and hating one another (Titus 3:3)

My dear Advocate, despite the fact that my students do not listen, I will continue to admonish them. It is my duty as a teacher. Many prophets before me did the same even without any success.
My dear Jesus, help me continue even when nobody listens. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment