Translate

Sunday 27 February 2011

Divine Providence

God has always been gracious towards me, richly showering me with whatever I need. He always answers my pleas.I have no doubt about it. Where else need I to turn to? So, what is still troubling my mind in deciding to follow His call to become a deacon? What is it there which is pulling my heels?

I attended an anticipatory mass in Ss. Peter and Paul Church yesterday because this morning, I had to be on duty to distribute report cards to the parents. I had the opportunity to listen to the homily of Fr. Jorge Montagna, IVE. He was very systematic and compassionate. His words were not harsh.
The gospel reading was taken from Matthew 6:24-34. It was about the Divine Providence of God. Even though God is our Heavenly Father, He honours our free will and does not shove His benevolence down our throat. Now comes the funny situation in which we have taken everything into our own hands and have forgotten that we have a Heaven Father who will always be there to lend a helping hand.
Fr. Jorge summarized the passage into three teachings: that God our Father should be the centre and focus of life, not money (Matthew 6:24). It is true that money provides security and depending on the needs of the individuals, some people spend their whole life hoarding security. They choose to serve mammon instead of God.
Secondly, God our Father will provide and lastly, He provides more than enough.
Fr. Jorge quoted the life of a St. Benedict whose totally reliance on the Divine Providence was admirable. Truly, modern men have not trust in His love enough.
Fr. Jorge was knew that people would fight back with the daily starvation of innocent children in many underdeveloped countries. He easily explained it away with the greed and sinfulness of the rich and developed countries.

Zette married Brian yesterday. The priest delivered a beautiful homily. What touched me most was not the teaching about total committment of each to the spouse. Rather it was his point that deep in each one of our soul, there is a sanctuary of God. In matrimony, the two don't simply share all of their life, but also their God. I will work hard on this newly discovered front.
In the evening, we had a dinner gathering of old friends of Choi Hung. The focus quickly concentrated on the life of one of our friends, Ms. M whose divorced husband was my secondary school classmate and my God son. Though Ms. M is not a Catholic, her attitude towards the marriage she had shared with my classmate was incredibly Catholic. Regrettably, my classmate had suffered a lot in his childhood. He never knows who his biological father was. He was raised with his step-father. However, I don't want to credit Freud for his explanation for my classmate's subsequent extra-marital affairs with his colleagues. On the other hand, Ms. M's total committmenet and trust towards my classmate humbles me. They finally divorced last year and I have not seen my God son for many years. What can I do for them? I feel so helpless.

Dear Lord, Have mercy on my classmate and Ms. M. I trust that Your Divine Providence is more than enough for our needs. May we find peace and reconciliation in Your benevolence. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment