Translate

Monday 12 December 2011

I need to take the FIRST STEP

Don't trust the date stamp. I can change it to whatever I desire. I am actually three days behind. There were three examination papers and their marking schemes to set. There was a study group on Christology to attend, a deacon ordination celebration and another Diaconate aspirants spiritual formation gathering. However, I know  that if I do not take this first step to write down something, I will never be able to write anything. However again, that does not guarantee my finishing it. Now that I have started writing, naturally I will ask how I will finish. Will I tidy up all the details or will I leave this page unfinished?

This Sunday is the GAUDETE Sunday, the 3rd Sunday of Advent. "Gaudete", which comes from the first word of the Introit at Mass, means "rejoice". The problem is, as a diabetic, I have to keep my emotion under control. I cannot allow myself to be over-agitated. The experience was terrible. I felt dizzy and nearly passed out one day when I argued with my mum over my moving to Tuen Mun after marriage.. It was my weakness. I always took things seriously and held them dearly to my heart. This was a price I had to pay if I continued to be that dead serious. Now, I am learning to let go and indulge myself a bit in some other distractions. Still, I must be careful. Therefore, I coolly ask myself in what I should rejoice. I cannot offer any quick answer.

It is now Friday, the last School Day for the term. I have been much exhausted rushing through the exam syllabus and finishing oral presentations with the S5 and S6 students. 6T has always been a difficult class and doing Ethics lessons with them is a real challenge. On one hand, I must respect their autonomy. On the other, there is so much about leading an upright life I want to share with them. However, we have communication problems, or put it in another way, we have a huge generation gap. My teaching style is not effective for them. Much of the time, I feel like speaking to stone walls. Of course, there are a handful of responsive students to cheer me up. I have to congratulate myself for being able to follow through these 18 months. After finishing all the oral presentations, I wished them a merry Christmas and a good public exam performance. I started picking up my things and prepared to leave. A student came up and would like to take a photo with me. Then, a few more came up as well. A warm current surged in my heart ...
Thank you students. I do not deserve this. I am just doing my part as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment