Translate

Sunday 19 January 2014

Jesus is the Son of God

Christians believe in supernatural things, things found beyond and even above the natural order, if direction still makes sense outside the natural order. Simply put, Christians believes in spiritual things which cannot be detected or measured with scientific instruments. For examples, angels and demons which are actually fallen angels, a very simplistic model indeed. Christians do not have an elaborate theology of angels and demons because they believe that there is a chain of commands. There are nine ranks/orders of angels and only angels of adjacent orders can communicate with each other. Humans can only communicate directly with ordinary angels which can communicate with man and archangels one rank above. That explains the poverty of information about angels of higher ranks such as Cherubim and Seraphim. We could only know of their labels and could not communicate with them directly. Had we been able to describe and explain them in great details, such a theology would have been pure fantasy.

Of course, there are a few exceptions. For examples, Gabriel visited the Blessed Virgin to invite her to become the Mother of the Son of God. Why didn't God send an ordinary angel to make the announcement? The fact that God broke the rank, the protocol means something very seriously ... OK, Cut the crab. For the Son of God to incarnate as a human being is out of order, is a disruption of protocol according to medieval angelology. But after all, he is God. Nothing is impossible for him.

Father and Son open oysters
hand in glove.
My two eldest sons were born one year and a few days apart. So today, a Sunday, we are able to celebrate their birthdays together. All my children were baptized a few months after birth and I have little worries about Wulstan my second son. But Hilary, my first born has not attended church since secondary school. His relationship with God has been my concern. But God has always been looking after him. He studied Chemistry. Yet in his first year undergrad, he could not enter the Chemistry Department and stayed one year in Religious and Cultural Studies before he switched back to Chemistry the next year. I teased him that he could not run away from God. In fact, he has helped me through my Biblical Diploma course because I could borrow a lot of reference books from the university through him.

Hilary does not speak much to me. He did not have a happy childhood because he spent his first three years with my mum and we took him back only during the weekends. He finally returned to us when he started kindergarten. My wife feels guilty about this arrangement of mine to pacify my mum. Now that my parents are living with us, tension is high in the house. In particular, Hilary avoids my younger brother. Their relationship is rather messy.
Don't make me wrong, Hilary is a good son and a good brother. It is only I that is unable to shake away my worries. I pray to God that one day, Hilary will return to Church and to serve Him. Tonight, we have an enjoyable evening, opening oysters and cracking jokes together. I thank my God heartily.

Dear Jesus, I am sure you have no difficulty in relating to your Father. Help my son and me improve our relationship. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment