Translate

Thursday 17 September 2009

Fulfilling one's destiny

I can put the blame on my upbringing. I can put the blame on my health. I can put the blame on my boss etc. But in the end, it is I who leads this life. It is I who is held accountable before God.

I am not a smart man. Nor am I a confident person. A lack of self-confidence is always pulling my legs so that my usual responses are hesitation, leaving others to make decisions for me and aversion of adventure etc. My eldest son is very much like me in this respect. He and I will act only when we are more than 99% certain of success.
It is not time to dig up what causes such character traits in me. At the moment, I can see clearer why I have responded, or rather say not responded to God's call as I should have. There is always a handy "reason" for me to decline God's invitation and thus God's blessings.
Tonight, Fr. Robert Ng explained in his Moral Theology lesson that God's call carries a lot of blessings and grace. If we respond positively, God will help us fulfil His call. He introduced the third type of call --- the call to liberate others and oneself. He quoted the example of Moses. Not only did Moses liberate the Israelites, but he also liberated himself from the role of a fugitive shepherd. The talent of this Egyptian prince could not be buried in the wilderness of Midian. He fulfilled his destiny by delivering the Israelites from the bondage in Egypt. This same theme is echoed in Paul's advice to Timothy.

Timothy was still green as an overseer over the see of Ephesus. He was facing a lot of challenges and Paul did not come to his help. Paul could only write a letter to support him. Paul gave Timothy very practicable advice.
Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.
Till I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching.
Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the council of elders laid their hands upon you.
Practice these duties, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress.
Take heed to yourself and to your teaching; hold to that, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers
 (1 Timothy 4:12-16).
When the council of elders laid their hands upon Timothy to consecrate him as the bishop, he received the gift of the Holy Spirit. It depended on how he cooperated with the Holy Spirit. So, Paul advised him to set up an example in speech and conduct especially in public reading, in preaching and teaching. The Holy Spirit would work with him in these activities.
As a young overseer, Timothy had the advantages of being malleable and able to improve. That was why Paul instructed him to become more visible in the duties ----- public reading, preaching and teaching. Then Timothy would be able to show the congregation his progress. When Timothy was executing his duties, he will save his hearers and himself!

It never occurs to me that becoming a deacon, a priest or a bishop will save oneself. Fr. Ng explained to us new trends in Moral Theology after Vatican II. One of such trends is the shift from observing regulations and rules to a fundamental option. The focus has shifted from an external, air-tight legislation to the well-being of the moral subject himself. Morality is less concerned with deciding which action is ethical than deciding what kind of a person I want to become. Deep inside, do I choose God or do I choose to satisfy my wants?
Because of the contamination of sins, we know less of ourselves than God knows us. Therefore, God calls us to liberate ourselves and to fulfil our full potentials. That is why in saving his hearers, Timothy would save his own soul at the same time. Timothy would not be fight the battle alone. The Holy Spirit, the gift of God would carry him through. The same applies to each and everyone of us.

Dear Lord, You have been very patient in calling and guiding my steps. Grant me the Holy Spirit to strengthen my legs to follow You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment