Translate

Thursday 1 April 2010

Maundy Thursday 2010

This year, Wulstan has taken up the arrangement of all the singing parts in the liturgy. He went through all the details on the choice of songs, of the vocalists, the organists, the scores, rehearsals and conducting. All the information is systematically tabulated and disseminated to all parties concerned. He is more than competent in handling these technicalities. He is even confident enough to point out my inadequacy in some parts of my conducting job. Wulstan has come of age now. I hope he will keep it up and serve the Church with his talents.

In the reading of Exodus this evening, we heard of the institution of the Feast of Passover for the Israelites. This piece of reading must have handed down from the earliest time because there we are able to find traces of polytheism. Monotheism evolved later.
For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will smite all the first-born in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD (Exodus 12:12).
For more than 400 years, the Israelites had been living in a land of many deities. The God of their fathers had not stood out, outshining the other gods. Yahweh broke into their history with signs and wonders to teach the Israelites that He alone is the One True God. We Christians are indebted to them.

This year, Fr. Martin again is the chief celebrant of the Maundy Thursday liturgy in the evening. In his usual manner, he came down to wash the feet of the congregation at random. It was the first time Fr. Milanese, our parish priest, did it in this manner. Later, we shall ask him what he thinks about such a practice. Fr. Lejeune could not do it. He remained seated, watching or perhaps praying. Deacon Tsang also came down to wash the feet. I have never been washed all these years. Secretly, I was thinking of what my reaction would be if Deacon Tsang came over to wash my feet. Was I looking for a sign to confirm my deacon call? My God, when You call, where can I hide from You? You have instructed us to do to each other what You have done. You have called us all to serve. Why will I decline?
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you
 (John 13:14-15).

In his homily, Fr. Martin told us a story to highlight how often we have taken the love of our loved ones for granted.
After a heated argument with his mother, a disgruntled teenage boy thundered through the door and slammed it behind him. He wandered aimlessly in the street till night fell, only to discover that he had forgotten to take his purse along. He was penniless and very hungry. To add to his dismay, a scent of noodle tingled his nose. He was standing in front of a noodle shop. The shop-owner saw this young man swallowing his saliva. He extended his hospitality and beckoned him in to give him a bowl of noodle for free. Munching the noodle, the teenage boy could not help shedding drops of tear. They were tears of gratitude for this total stranger who was so kind to him. The shop-owner casually remarked. "Young man, I am sure this bowl of plaint noodle is no comparison to the many bowls of noodle your mum has made you." The teenage boy thanked the shop-owner, not only for the bowl of noodle, but also for the precious lesson he had taught him. He immediately hurried home to his mother to apologize. Before he spoke when his mother saw him, she said, "Son, you have gone out for the whole day. You must be very tired and hungry. Let me cook you a bowl of noodle."
How often we have taken the love of our loved ones for granted and have not genuinely appreciated it. What a waste!
How often we have taken the love of God for granted and have not genuinely cherished it. What a waste!
Fr. Martin added that it was natural for ordinary man to love his children. But it took a learned man to love his parents. We need to be taught to love. Our parents were our first earthly teachers. God is our primordial teacher. Jesus washed the feet of his apostles. This action was unconventional and must have deeply impressed them. It must have awakened in them how they have ignored and even rejected the love of their loved ones, and of God in particular. We have learned and it is never too late to return our love.

Dear Lord, very often I have not paid enough attention to cherish the love You have showered down on me. Let me love more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment