Translate

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Who is the student of God?

Without adequate knowledge of inter-testament history, it is all too easy for Christians to identify the Servant of God as Jesus. It is simplistic and can be understood without any trouble. Biblical scholars beg to differ. They would identify the Servant of God in Isaiah 49 as Darius, the Persian king. King Cyrus was explicitly called the anointed, i.e. the Messiah (Isaiah 45:1). Therefore, biblical scholars have enough ground to hypothesize that the oracles recorded in these chapters of Isaiah reflect the political developments at that time. The historical background sheds light on the understanding of these chapters. After identifying the Servant of God in Isaiah 49 as Darius, the next figure, the Student of God in Isaiah 50 would not be Jesus any more.

The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught.
The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I turned not backward
 (Isaiah 50:4-5).
A professional has to go through training before he practises. God is the primordial teacher and He needs no teacher. Jesus taught and his teacher was God the Father. But Biblical scholars would prefer another candidate because Jesus arrived at the scene some 500 years later. Now, we have to tolerate a tension between Jesus and this other candidate whom some Biblical scholars identify as Zerubbabel. He was the leader in Jerusalem responsible for the building of the second Temple.

This Student of God has a mission to cheer up, to sustain weary people. He studies diligently every morning. He is not rebellious and does not turn backward. He works hard until his mission is accomplished. I have never been an obedient student. I love to explore different paths. Therefore, I sometimes turn backward and as a result, I am diversified and not quite focused. In a sense, I am not a good student.
But this Student of God has to go through a different kind of training. Here is the training manual.
I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
For the Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been confounded; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame;
he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me
 (Isaiah 50:6-8).
What kind of mission requires training of such ill-treatment of insults? With my limited knowledge, I can only think of Jesus. With full confidence in the backing of God, Jesus has endured all such ill-treatments in his Passion.

Dear Lord, with Your Passion just one day away, carry us under the shadow of Your wing through Your Paschal Mystery. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment