Translate

Monday 21 January 2013

Jesus brings us A Joyful Life

It is always a pleasure to listen to the homily of Fr. Milanese, our parish priest. His exegesis is very insightful. Today, we read of the "first miracle of Jesus in Cana" (John 2:1-12) which everybody is so familiar that hardly can anybody think up any new teachings, so I thought. For example, that the third day is symbolic of Jesus' resurrectionl; that Jesus is the true bridegroom of the wedding banquet in Cana, thus the heavenly banquet; that the BVM is always watchful over our needs; and that Jesus calling the BVM "woman" was not rude but reminding us of the special role of the BVM, the new Eve etc. All these are good interpretations but the Word of God is a living Word in which you will always be able to discover something new!

Fr. Milanese was able to put the story in relation to the context, to what goes before and what goes after. He pointed out that the Evangelist is trying to telling us where God is. Before the Cana narrative, two disciples of John the Baptist, Andrew and probably John, followed Jesus (John 1:37). Jesus invited them to go and see where he stayed (1:39). After the Cana narrative, Jesus visited Jerusalem and cleansed the Temple where traditionally Yahweh resided (2:13-25). The conclusion is obvious. When you find Jesus, you find God.

Then Fr. Milanese turned to the miracle per se. Unlike healing miracles, exorcisms, raising the dead and calming the storm, turning water to wine is no big deal. Again, unlike water and bread, wine is not a necessity. It is a luxury but it cheers up the body and the mind. Therefore, this first miracle is pregnant with meanings. Jesus is not simply the source of life (1:4). It is not a life of unbearable subsistence but an abundant joyful life. Jesus is the truth which makes us free. With this freedom, we can actualize the full potential of our life. Jesus brings us peace which the world cannot give. Life in Jesus is joyful.

This evening, I attained the vigil mass for the father of the V.G. in St. Mary Home of the Aged. The chapel was overflowed with people. I met several friends whom I had not seen a many years. The father of the V.G. died a ripe age of 93. Cardinal Joseph Zen concelebrated with the V.G. and flanked by many priests and deacons. In his homily, the V.G. spoke appropriately about his old man whose ordinary life was a good model of faith. The senior Chan was able to inspire a prayerful family in his life as a husband, a father of 10 children and grandfather of many more. So, when you have found Jesus, your life needs not to be extraordinary and eventful in order to be saintly. I am sure the senior Chan must have passed away very much contented.

When I look back at my role as a father, I see a lot of failures. I can think of many excuses. I could have lay the blame on my childhood upbringing. I could have complained about my diabetes. But I am sure it is never too late to catch up, to seize the moment to build up a quality relation with my children. Still, family prayer is still too distant a goal.

Dear Lord, I pray for my children. May they be good servants of Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment