Translate

Sunday 13 January 2013

Knowing your position

Our position shifts all the time throughout our life. When we were babies, we depended on our parents. When our parents grow old, we take care of them. Similarly, when we work in an organization, we promote and demote. Our position and relation with our superiors and subordinates shift. It is important to know our position. As children, we can be rebellious for a while yet we cannot disobey our parents forever. As subordinates, it will be stupid of us to override the decisions of our bosses.

John the Baptist knew his position. He knew that he was not the Christ but only the forerunner of Christ
"... who is mightier than I is coming, the thong of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire" (Luke 3:16). and that
"He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)
John was happy to see Jesus' popularity wax while his wane.
What about us? Perhaps we should follow John's example to work hard. When the time comes, we should shy away from the limelight and retire.

Jesus' baptism is an occasion to show the whole world his relation/position with the Father. He is the Son of God the Father. For the first time in the gospel, God revealed to us as the Blessed Trinity, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Likewise, through baptism, we become adopted sons of God through the merits of Jesus and the seal of the Holy Spirit we received. Without Jesus and the Holy Spirit, we cannot attain this position. Our sonship in relation to God is different from that of Jesus. Now, in the new role of adopted sons of God, what are our obligations?

A number of obligations immediately come to mind.
Firstly, the Catholic Church has started the Year of Faith to celebrate the golden jubilee of the Second Vatican Council which initiates the modernization of the Roman Catholic Church. Yet, many of us Catholics know very little about the teachings of the 3 Declarations, 4 Constitutions and 9 Decrees! As adopted children of God, obviously we should learn more about them in order to gain a clearer picture of our identity.
Secondly, Jesus has set us a very good example as a praying Son. We find in the gospels many occasions in which Jesus prayed. Jesus prays to strengthen his bond with his heavenly Father, to know His will and to obtain the power to execute it. Therefore, we should charge up our spiritual life through prayers and sacraments.
Thirdly, Jesus was a man of action. He did not simply preach the Kingdom of God in words but also in actions. We too should also put our faith in action. But once more, it is important to know our position. We are gifted in different ways. Some are good speakers. Others are good helpers and healers. So, know our gift and position. Act!

Many things happened today and caught me unprepared. But I know that things would not happen without God's consent. There is a purpose behind every happening. To begin with, my father fainted early in the morning and was hospitalized. This disrupted our Sunday routines and consequently, my mother had no choice but to go to Mass with us, for the first time in her life. God has been showering her with abundant grace. Somehow, after visiting my father in the hospital, I still had to fight with her over her alcoholism which perhaps was a sign of her anxiety. I did not know how much I was affected by the struggle but after dinner, I "accidentally" swallowed my artificial front tooth together with the metformin I took. It stuck in my throat for quite a while and surely my pains upset my mother more. All these "misfortunes", I believe, carry God's will.

Dear Lord, I know that You are answering my prayer for my mother. I thank and praise You. Amen.

P.S. Thank God, after a 72-hour winding journey, my artificial front tooth, which measures 4 cm by 2 cm, finally emerged.

No comments:

Post a Comment