Translate

Sunday 17 March 2013

Why should we forgive sinners?

Sin is ugly not just because of the sufferings inflicted upon the victims. Sin is ugly because it erodes the souls of sinners. Sin sips away the compassion in sinners so that they are unable to sympathize with the sufferings of fellow sinners. Gradually, sinners turn self-righteous, forgetting that they are sinners. Other fellow sinners are sinners. They are no longer sinners! That pretty much sums up what the story of the adulterous woman in John tries to teach us. However, I believe that God has more to tell us than this.

"Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:7b).
This famous verse reminds us that we are all sinners. Though we are called and baptized to be saints, our human nature is still crippled by our old sinful habits. The Israelites were delivered from Egypt, baptized in the Red Sea and signed a covenant with God to be a holy people, a nation of priests. Yet, this people remains rebellious throughout the ages. We are living in a sinful environment we have created for ourselves. Therefore, it is impossible for us to be transformed overnight on the night of baptism. Our journey home is a life-long one. Along the way, we need continual support. What is the most effective support a sinner needs? Forgiveness.

And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." (John 8:11b)
Condemnation destroys while forgiveness builds up. Therefore, before the end of the world arrives, we should forgive. Leave the condemnation for the Last Day. God will condemn. Leave this dirty job to Him. As for us, let us build people up. Let us forgive and give people a second chance.

Fr. John Wotherspoon, OMI visits prisoners. Last Christmas, we celebrated a Christmas Mass in the Tai Lam Women's Prison. My wife and I helped out as volunteers. Fr. John carried a lot of booklets to hand out and his knapsack was very much overloaded. There was a fragile extended handle for the owner to drag the heavy load more comfortably. Not many prisoners turned up. There were about 12 in total. In the end, Fr. was only able to unload a few booklets. The knapsack remained heavy. I offered to pull the knapsack for him. In my hand, the fragile handle snapped! While I blamed myself to be too careless, Fr. John came over to thank me instead! He was returning to Australia that evening and would stuff the knapsack even more heavily. It was lucky that the handle gave way here instead of elsewhere in the airport or on the plane. That would be chaotic! Fr. John showed me why Jesus did not condemn the adulterous woman. Needless to say, I would be more careful in whatever I do next time. Fr. John personifies Jesus. His spirituality is truly deep.

Dear Jesus, I thank you for allowing me to meet Fr. John and to learn from him. There is still a lot for me to learn. Send forth thy light! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment