Translate

Sunday 16 November 2014

Love explains all

I am not sure whether perseverance is a talent or a virtue. My doggedness is amazing. When I want to get something done, I will spend hours and even days to find ways to get what I want. That was how I developed DM while cracking software protection. Meanwhile, in the exploration of different ways, I would discover pieces of newfound land. This is my style of learning, learning by doing even to this day.
I was trained a science student in the secondary school. Language was not my turf. Some five years into my teaching career, I came upon Computer Literacy. I found writing computer programs and learning different computer languages fascinating. My reward? Some short-lived cracked computer programs and diabetes.

As for my responding to the diaconate vocation, I regret that I have not answered earlier. I am privileged to be called to serve. I understand that I have to overcome my arrogance which is the very obstacle to receiving God’s grace of serving as a deacon. In my younger days, when I wanted to do something, nothing could prevent me from doing it. Today, I will not be so arrogant. I would say, I would like to do this, if God wishes.
I know I am pragmatic and physical. I may not be a spiritual man because I use my intellect more than affection. From what I know about myself, I will put in more efforts in spiritual formation, to pray with the Scripture more. I am sure God wishes this into me.

My wife and I attended a Workshop for Deacons’ wives. It was a very fruitful workshop for all of us, including all the gentlemen who could afford to join. The speaker was a Spanish speaking lady, Montserrat Martínez, a very experienced and capable scholar and a deacon wife for more than three decades. Since she felt more comfortable in delivering her talks in her native tongue, the VG invited Fr. Gabriel Altamirano O. MG, to be an instantaneous interpreter. Fr. Gabriel did not translate mechanically. He sprinkled his translations with wit and personality by which I mean he was able to add a bit of his own comments and dissent in his translations. He kept on saying “she said that ...” In fact, Fr. Gabriel was once a member of the Diocesan Commission For the Permanent Diaconate. He was indeed the most appropriate candidate to do this job.

On Sunday, he delivered an enlightening homily on the Parable of Talents in Matthew. His delivery was effortless and his perspective sharp. He made use of “love” to explain the difference between the servant given 5 talents and the one with only one talent. With love, the servants, who were given 5 and 2 talents, worked eagerly and earned double. Without love, the servant with 1 talent was afraid (Matthew 25:25) and out of fear buried his talent! Bravo! How wonderful to see that everything falls in place.

Dear Lord, help me love you more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment