Translate

Friday 19 September 2008

Speaking in tongue/English

In contrasting the gifts from the Holy Spirit, Paul was a utilitarian.
According to the opinion of St. Paul, speaking in tongue benefits only the person who speaks.
He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself (1 Corinthians 14:4a)
When a person is possessed by the Holy Spirit, he enters into a trance. God and he are in union. He is in ecstasy. He begins to speak in tongue which nobody nearby understands. In most cases, he becomes the envy of everyone. In fact, how many of us can be so lucky as to be blessed with the opportunity to enjoy a close encounter with God? But since nobody will understand his utterance while in trance, that is why St. Paul said that only the person himself is edified.
I insist on speaking in English in Shung Tak, the school I am currently teaching in. As an English teacher, of course I speak English most of the time. Moreover, Shung Tak is an EMI school. It provides a very good environment for students to build up their English proficiency. But in a bilingual environment in which most people speak Chinese, I have to switch to and fro between the two languages. It does not pose any problem for me. The problem is, the current principal and the previous one are not insistent enough to speak in English.
Shung Tak is in full swing preparing for the celebration of her Golden Jubilee. We will invite the Vicar General to officiate at the ceremony. He expressed his wish to deliver his homily in Chinese. I am responsible for writing up the prayers in the liturgy. In my mind, Shung Tak is an EMI school and we are the host. I took it for granted that the ceremony would be in English and prepared the liturgy accordingly. Of course, the celebrant is free to deliver his homily in whichever language he likes. For the benefit of the congregation, he should deliver his homily in Chinese.
When I put forth my reasoning in support for an English liturgy, I did not check the details and claimed that it has been our tradition to hold all these celebrations in English. The principal proved me wrong. She looked through the pamphlets of previous ceremonies and found that there were occasions in which the ceremonies had been conducted in Chinese! The truth is those ceremonies had been prepared, not by me but by the ex-pastoral assistant. The curious part is that I participated in them. Yet, I thought they were conducted in English! Suddenly, it dawned to me that all along, it had been my wish to see that Shung Tak has a tradition to conduct her religious ceremonies in English. Furthermore, it brought up grudges buried long time ago. Subconsciously, I have been trying to forget those unpleasant experiences but unfortunately, they come up again. My God, help me keep in mind that the present principal has nothing to do with those old grudges.

My dear Advocate, speaking in tongue edifies myself and not the others. But in our situation, conducting the ceremony in English is certainly edifying for the parents. Once more, they are assured that Shung Tak offers quality English education for their children. I pray that the principal will change her mind. But I understand that love does not insist. May You be glorified in our celebration. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment