Translate

Monday 22 September 2008

Doing the right thing at the right time

Starting from today, we will be reading the Proverbs. It is a collection of advice and wisdom of the Jewish culture. Here are the few pieces of advice we read today. They are framed in negative terms.
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.
Do not say to your neighbour, "Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it" -- when you have it with you
(Proverbs 3:27-28).
Well, should I do something because it is in my power to do it? No, it may not be the right thing to do.
Given that this something good is due somebody, then it is the right thing to do now. Why would we withhold? Why would we procrastinate? Well, perhaps it is not the right time, the right moment to take action. We must have been occupied with something of higher priority. Or at that moment, we are doing something of higher value. Therefore, we don't take the trouble to do good things within our power.
My God, are You telling me that I should take up the post of the RS panelchair? Why did I decline? It was personal in two senses. My first excuse is health. It was an excuse because I managed to obtain my Biblical Diploma within three years. (Is an excuse a lie? Then, am I telling lies that my health does not permit me?) The second reason was the frustrations built up with the boss. He failed to win my loyalty. We failed to develop a good rapport. I have no intention to attack the integrity or character of my ex-boss. It was only unlucky that our personalities did not match.
Sometimes, the book of Proverbs would frame an advice in contrasting pairs. The reading today finishes with these contrasts. We will be reading more of these in the following days.
for the perverse man is an abomination to the LORD, but the upright are in his confidence.
The LORD's curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the abode of the righteous.
Toward the scorners he is scornful, but to the humble he shows favour.
The wise will inherit honor, but fools get disgrace
(Proverbs 3:32-35).

My dear Advocate, have mercy on me. I am too arrogant. Help me see my weaknesses and improve. Amen.

Comment from evaward:

郭sir 你好 ,, 我在f.4 , f.5 都一直有睇你的website ,, 好感謝你 ^^ 因為你令我在 rs 這一科得到很好的成績..
今年f.6 也選修了 er(as) ,, 但我找不到跟你相似的site ( 有齊 past paper 而且更分晒topic )  請問你有er website 的介紹嗎?

My Reply:
@evaward - 謝謝妳(希望沒有弄錯閣下的性別!)很高興妳考到理想的成績,而且繼續 ERS (AS) 的挑戰。網上應有很多討論倫理及宗教問題的網頁,例如 www.bbc.co.uk/religion  和 www.bbc.co.uk/ethics ,可作參攷。

No comments:

Post a Comment