Translate

Thursday 9 April 2009

The problem of sufferings

To all of us who believe in an almighty merciful (benevolent) God, Jews, Christians and Muslims alike, the problem of sufferings is one which we cannot escape. Why does an almighty merciful God allow sufferings to happen to the innocent? This question challenges our faith and we cannot simply sweep it under the carpet, pretending that it is not a question at all. No. We cannot because we see this happen everyday. It is a theology issue which I am not capable to answer. All I can do is to reflect on the passage I read today, Isaiah 50.
The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him that is weary. Morning by morning he wakens, he wakens my ear to hear as those who are taught.
The Lord GOD has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I turned not backward
(Isaiah 50:4-5).
As a believer of God, I should speak edifying words to console and support the weary, the downtrodden. All the time, I should be humble and listen carefully to the word of God and receive His teaching. This sets the stage for me to endure whatever sufferings befall on me.
I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I hid not my face from shame and spitting (Isaiah 50:6).
I am not supposed to resist insults and attacks. Perhaps it is my faults and I deserve such harsh treatment. Perhaps it is not my faults but it is still not my duty to defend. What about the innocent? Should I venture out to defend them? No. According to Isaiah, I should only offer consolation and encouragement. Had I been more Samaritan, I should have suffered with the innocent. That probably explains what Isaiah said about offering our cheek to insults.
Why are we able to do this? It hinges on our faith in God.
For the Lord GOD helps me; therefore I have not been confounded; therefore I have set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame (Isaiah 50:7)
In the end, we may be wrong. There is no guarantee, no certainty. We only put our faith in God that He will help us. No. He may allow us to suffer because He has a different time frame. God is not an instant pain killer. So, we must not expect Him to intervene immediately. We may suffer and die, even shamefully. God will vindicate us in His time, not ours.
he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who is my adversary? Let him come near to me (Isaiah 50:8).
Isaiah was very confident and even defiant. Notice that Isaiah told us to stand up together. That was why earlier on, I said "Had I been more Samaritan, I should have suffered with the innocent." Not that we want to outnumber our persecutors, that we want to stand them off with sheer size, but that the Christian option is for the poor and the needy. We are no saviour for them. We simply want to do God's will, to make our world a better place for the poor to live in, to lead a more decent and dignified life. Are we too ambitious?
I do not offer any ingenious answer to the difficult question of sufferings. Instead of sitting comfortably on the armchair to theorize the compatibility of an almighty and merciful God with a suffering world, I respond to God's call to go into the wounded humanity to offer my consolation as well as encouragement, to stand by them in their plights. Let God answer the question Himself.

Dear Father, as we approach Good Friday, we celebrate how Your Son come to us to take up our sufferings so that the Creation can be redeemed. Let us follow his footsteps to redeem our world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment