Translate

Sunday 19 April 2009

Do not dare to believe

Today, eleven people took part in a spiritual formation programme organized by the Religious Education Committee of the Catholic Diocesan School Council, including two principals and one pastoral assistant. We know each other well enough and all of us benefit a lot from this Labyrinth Meditation, conducted by Fr. Benjamin Lam who has recently taken over as the Rector of the Holy Spirit Seminary. For me, it was a new experience.
Fr. Benjamin began with a briefing, using the story of Jesus' Transfiguration. We would walk slowly into the centre, carrying whatever burden we had in our hearts. Such was the psychological condition of the three apostles when they climbed up the high mountain with Jesus. In the centre of this labyrinth, there is a sign IHS (In Hac Signum): (salvation is) in under the sign. This is the summit where Jesus showed his post-resurrection glory to his apostles. We would stay there for a while, possibly lay down our burden, then return along the same path, carrying whatever Christ bestow us.
We entered the labyrinth one after another when each was mentally prepared to start the journey. I started the walk cautiously, watching my steps, keeping a distance from the one before me, feeling the pebbles with my bare feet. I put one foot forward only after I had securely planted another foot on the ground. What struck me most were the U-turns along the path. I am a rather stubborn and intense man, sticking to my "principles". Once I made a decision, I would not change course. But I had to change course often along this path. If this path symbolizes my life journey, I must have made many many mistakes for not U-turning. Along the path which is rather narrow, we rubbed shoulders with each other. One moment ago, we were walking along the same direction. The next moment, we parted way. Since the path was narrow, we adjusted our body posture in order not to bump onto each other. Gradually, I was no longer walking intensely. I was able to walk faster when there was a long straight path before a U-turn. I was able to try out new things and new feelings. Along the way, it began to dawn on me that the post of RS panel head which I strongly rejected, rather than perpetual deaconship, might probably be the call of God that I should embrace. Before I started the return journey, there was cramp on one of the toes on my left foot. I backed off for a while before I restarted the return journey. Just when I thought the exit was in sight, right ahead of me, only to find myself forced to make one last U-turn! Is this my life?
We celebrated mass before lunch. We read Acts 4:13-21 and Mark 16:9-15. In his homily, Fr. Benjamin brought our attention to the lack of faith of both the Jewish religious leaders and the apostles. But there was a difference. While the Jewish leaders refused to believe even in face of hard evidence of a healed lame man, the apostles did not dare to believe in Jesus' resurrection which was beyond their intellectual grasp. The apostles rejected the women's testimony, thinking that it was typical women fantasies.
Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they sat at table; and he upbraided them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen (Mark 16:14).
Still, Jesus sent the apostles out to bear witness to his resurrection, to preach the gospel of reconciliation.
As for the Jewish leaders, they refused to believe because the witness of the apostles was a direct challenge of their authority over the people and a damage to the privileges they had been enjoying. They could only threaten the apostles and later resort to brute force. Instead of being the servants of God, they became His enemies.
And when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding no way to punish them, because of the people; for all men praised God for what had happened.
For the man on whom this sign of healing was performed was more than forty years old
(Acts 4:21-22).

My Lord, I do not dare to believe in the good plan You have in store for me. Many times, I have missed the opportunity to serve You better. Yet, You do not mind making me, Your unworthy servant, a witness to Your love. Guide my steps. Show me new things You have prepared for me. Amen.

Acknowledgement: The photo of the labyrinth was retrieved from
http://www.wisconsintrails.com/culture/16-labyrinths-worth-exploring-200464981.html

No comments:

Post a Comment