Translate

Sunday 5 April 2009

The valley of dry bones

Ezekiel was a prophet of vision. He saw many strange images. Based on his description, some authors in the last century wrote books such as Chariots of the Gods (1968), feeding the western psyche with the idea that God was in fact an extra-terrestrial and he visited us, leaving behind very advanced technology. What Ezekiel saw was actually UFO's. Of course, Christians reject this suggestion even though it offers a scientific aura around their belief.
Ezekiel 37 contains a famous vision of the valley of dry bones. In this vision, God raised these dry bones from death, joined them together, clothed them with flesh and skin. Thus far, these dry bones only produced lifeless naked mummies. With a familiar Genesis breath, these mummies came to life (Ezekiel 37:1-10). Then God explained this vision to Ezekiel.
Then he said to me, "Son of man (Ezekiel), these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, `Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are clean cut off.'
Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I will open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you home into the land of Israel.
And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people.
And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land; then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken, and I have done it, says the LORD."
(Ezekiel 37:11-14)
When we live in sins, we are lifeless dry bones. On our own, we cannot turn a new leaf, come to a new life. There is simply no motivation to begin anew. External support is needed. That's why we need friends, we need God. Yes, we are God's people. God does not want to see His people die. He will open our graves, give us His Spirit so that we shall live. Now is the season of grace. Let's take this opportunity to reconcile with our God.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will take out of your flesh the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.
And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to observe my ordinances
(Ezekiel 36:25-27).

My God, You are a God of the living, not of the dead. You don't like to see us perish. Remember Your servant and deliver him from evil. Breathe into us Your Spirit and change our heart of stone into a heart of flesh. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment