Translate

Sunday 25 October 2009

Thirtieth Sunday (Year B)

Fr. Martin Ip celebrated the 11 a.m. mass with us this morning. He began with the story of a tour guide who complained that the worst tourists were those who went ahead or who fell much behind of the pack. The former group created a lot of safety headaches for him while the latter dragged the pack. In the end, the pack had to rush in order to follow the schedule.
Fr. Martin asked us to imagine Jesus as the guide on our journey to heaven. What kind of tourists are we? Are we the impatient ones who always go a step ahead of Jesus? Are we the troubled ones who don't want to move ahead?

Fr. Martin continued to share the story of another young man who was not academically gifted. This young man did not finish Form 5. After spending a few years of listless life, he decided to return to school so as to sit for the CEE exam and got a decent job. His English proficiency was low. After two months of studies, he shared with his friends that he wanted to give up. He did not see what progress he had made in these two months. Among his friends was Fr. Martin. Fr. Martin encouraged him and told him he had not given God enough time to work in him. The other friends also encouraged him and swore that they would sit for CEE together. Friendship is priceless.

Most of us are like the blind and desperate Bartimeaus (Mark 10:46-52). He grew impatient and cried out more to catch the attention of Jesus to heal his blindness. It was understandable. But too often, we do not allow the word of God and His grace to sink deeply enough in our chest.
I am an impatient man. I should learn from this piece of advice. I have been desperately seeking a clear sign from God to affirm my call. Probably God has already left enough signs for me. Yet, I am too subjective and have imposed some unwritten demands on the way God shows His sign. Today, God had showered me with a lot of signs.

In the afternoon, Deacon Tsang accompanied me to the monthly meeting of the deacons, candidates and aspirants in St. Jude parish in North Point. I met many people. First of all, before entering the church, I met Mr. Au, the principal of Raimondi College. Two years ago, he mentioned that he was taking theology courses in the Holy Spirit Seminary. Of course, he was a permanent deacon candidate. In the meeting room, I recognized several familiar faces. They are currently studying the Religious Science degree course in the Seminary. Suddenly, a lady showed up before me, asking me if I recognized her. Of course I remembered her face, but I could not recall her name. She is Chan Fung Ping, the wife of an aspirant and she helped me recall some faded memories. I was her catechumen instructor! A short while after the meeting started, another familiar figure appeared. He was Siu Wai Leung, a legionary in the Holy Family Parish. I am no longer a stranger in this new place.
After more than a decade of development, the Diocese has now 11 permanent deacons, 8 candidates and 9 aspirants. More people are applying. It has grown into a pretty strong group from a total of only 4, 2 deacons and their wives. We need to be patient because God works along a different time-frame. We need to allow more time for the word and grace of God to sink deeply enough into our souls to work miracles, to open our eyes and to empower our limbs.

Dear Lord, teach me to be more patient. There is a time for everything. Let me learn this wisdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment