Translate

Sunday 4 October 2009

Twenty Seventh Ordinary Sunday (Year B)

Fr. Renzo Milanese, PIME celebrated his first mass in our parish. He came to replace Fr. John Baptist Kwan, whom the Diocesan Chancery had sent to St. Margaret. Fr. Milanese has been serving the New Territories for the last two decades. He has never been assigned to Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai. So, he quoted the gospel reading today and humbly received this assignment.
Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it (Mark 10:15).
He has never been to Tuen Mun. He understood that there were a lot of people, working relations, procedures he needed to learn. The gospel reading today was a very good reminder for him.

In his opening speech, Fr. Milanese quoted the gospel reading to illustrate his expectations of working in the parish.
What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder (Mark 10:9).
God joined us together. Fr. Milanese looked forward to the next few years of parish life to be one like married couples. Man and his wife work closely together to build up a community of love, bearing witness to the love of God in Tuen Mun.

Probably it was the first mass he celebrated here, Fr. Milanese has not yet known enough of the parishioners. Or probably it was due to his style, his homily was a bit theoretical, but essential. He pointed out the importance of knowing the spirit of the law.
Life is complex. Social life is even more complex. Therefore, we need guidelines, norms, rules and commandments to ease our burdens in our daily living. Very often, we forgot the intention and the spirit of these regulations.
Jesus pointed out the ideal of Christian marriage. But daily living is far from being ideal. Man and his wife face many challenges and difficulties, be they physical, psychological, financial and social etc. Christian matrimony, like priestly vocation, is a life of grace. The couples need God's grace to help them lead a married life leading to sanctification. Difficulties and communication breakdowns are inevitable. Still, sanctification is our goal. Divorce is out of question.

At the end of the mass, Mrs Tsang, the wife of Deacon Tsang came to congratulate me. She told me that Comas Kwong and I were officially accepted to join the aspirants. I thanked her and promised to work hard. But my feeling was mixed. I discovered that I harboured a lot of preconceived ideas which would result in some stupid actions. Like my last visit to the VG Office, I would have avoided such folly had I simply checked the calendar. Truly, I need to receive God's call and to respond to God's call like a child. Otherwise, I would end up bringing troubles to the Church.

Dear Lord, I am amazed by my own stupidity. Enlighten me. Open up my heart so that I may discern Your will. Lead me along the right path. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment