Translate

Sunday 20 March 2011

Sharing Naboth's Vineyard with classmates

I wrote about Naboth's Vineyard in 2006. It was nearly five years ago. So, I feel I can be of some help to assist my classmates to do their Old Testament Historical Books assignment. In fact, I benefit when I brush up my knowledge of Deuteronomistic History as well.

The story was inserted in different places in different manuscripts. In LXX, it is chapter 20. In MT, it is chapter 21. The redactors of LXX put the story where it belonged --- the Elijah cycle. However, MT puts it between the war story to explain why King Ahab deserved to be bled to death in his chariot from a wound sustained by a stray arrow.

Now, we turn the focus to the text. In the story, Ahab wanted to buy Naboth's vineyard which was next to his palace. Ahab wanted to turn it into a "vegetable garden". On a symbolic level, a vineyard is the work of Yahweh whereas a "vegetable garden" is that of Pharaoh. There was no God in Ahab's heart which had turned away to baals. This is further demonstrated by the way he thought and the way he retold the incident to Jezebel.
Naboth refused the king's offer, saying "The LORD forbid that I should give you the inheritance of my fathers." (1 Kings 21:3)
Ahab was unhappy but he could do nothing because Naboth's reply was totally legitimate. Inheritance of the ancestors was sacred because it showed that God honoured the covenant with the Israelites.
When the redactor reports the reaction of Ahab, he used a subtle way to show that there was no God in Ahab's heart.
And Ahab went into his house vexed and sullen because of what Naboth the Jezreelite had said to him; for he had said, "I will not give you the inheritance of my fathers." (1 Kings 21:4)
"The Lord forbid" is missing! Ahab heard but did not register it in his heart. There was no God in his heart.
This is further illustrated by the way Ahab told Jezebel the event.
And he said to her, "Because I spoke to Naboth the Jezreelite, and said to him, 'Give me your vineyard for money; or else, if it please you, I will give you another vineyard for it'; and he answered, 'I will not give you my vineyard.'"(1 Kings 21:6)
Now, it was no longer "inheritance of my fathers". It was only a "vineyard". And I am sure when he said "vineyard", Ahab meant a vineyard, a garden to grow vine and not the plantation of Yahweh.
All these are common sense. Everyone reading the text in attention will be able to see. Newer ideas popped up during our sharing.

First of all, somebody saw the parallel between David and Ahab! During war time, David stayed behind and had an affair with Bathsheba. In the case of Ahab, he was in the middle of a war (according to MT) and he coveted Naboth's vineyard. David had Uriah killed to take his wife and Ahab had Naboth stoned to death to take his vineyard. The LXX arrangement would not be able to show this. In the end, God sent Nathan to pronounce punishment. David immediately repented and the punishment was postponed. In Ahab's case, God sent Elijah to pronounce punishment. Ahab repented and his punishment was also postponed. This viewpoint is expressed in several commentaries. In helping my classmates, I learned.

Then, we turned to some kind of narrative criticism. We tried to figure out the portrait of Ahab as painted by the author of 1 Kings.  From his "depressed" reaction after Naboth's rejection of the deal and allowing Jezebel a free hand to abuse royal authority to obtain what Ahab wanted, many commentators would like to believe that Ahab was a spoilt child. However, my classmates thought in a different fashion. Ahab was a calculated man. He did not have to make his hands dirty. He allowed Jezebel, a foreign princess who was not supposed to know and respect Israelite customs, to do things which were not "convenient/appropriate" for an Israel king to do. In short, Ahab was thoroughly bad, in and out.

When we came to the part of Ahab's renting his clothes, I brought to my classmates' attention the several occasions of people renting their clothes: e.g. King Josiah did it when the Law was read to him. Then he started religious reformation in Judah (2 Kings 22:11). The High Priest Caiaphas rented his clothes when Jesus admitted that he was the Son of God (Mark 14:62-63). On the surface, the High Priest was infuriated because Jesus had blasphemed. But this High Priest was known to speak God's will even though he had no intention to do so (John 11:49-52). Therefore, I speculate that when he tore his garment in front of Jesus, who is God, Caiaphas repented for himself and for the whole Sanhedrin!

In the evening, six of us, the Deacon aspirants, had dinner with B.B. Joe. We intended to hear about his decision to quit. But nobody raised the issue and we simply enjoyed a nice Chiu Chow dinner together. B.B. Joe is still study for his master degree. So, I suppose he has got over the issue.

Dear Lord, I am glad that I can be helpful. Make me Your handy instrument. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment