Translate

Sunday 9 October 2011

Make us worthy of joining the heavenly banquet

This Sunday, Fr. Thomas Law made us attend the Byzantine liturgy at 11:00 am in the Mother of Good Counsel parish, San Po Kong. It is counted as part of the assessment of the Eucharist course. He had invited a priest of the Ukrainian Rites from Australia to expand our horizon. The Roman Rites are not the only Catholic rites. There are other traditions.
I remember visiting that Church only a few times after getting married and moving to Tuen Mun. There are not many fond memories of people or events, except that of the unpopular ex-boss. I pray for him because he underwent coronary bypass surgery and his baby face shows signs of aging in a solo photo of a 2009 New Zealand Study Trip with students of Ng Wah College.

I use to call my mother at the McDonalds after I have finished my breakfast and on my way to school or when I am having breakfast with my wife and Symphorian before going to mass on Sundays. These days, my mother has been calling intrusively: while I was having interview with Ms. Mak, I was attending lectures, I was still in bed or I was travelling in LRT etc. and I have to confess that it annoys me so much so that sometimes I just left the mobile vibrating/ringing unanswered. I sense that something must have been troubling her but she was unable to express it. This morning, she called after I had brushed my teeth. Though frustrated, I answered. Later, when I called her again at the McDonalds, she broke the news that her youngest brother had died earlier in the morning. Her relation with this only male heir of the family had never been good because of the favouritism shown by grandfather. Gone one by one, her only surviving relation with relatives in China is her fourth sister. I cannot say I understand my mother enough. But I am sure she has not managed the complexity of her relationships well enough. She literally cuts nearly all relations, including ours, with relatives way back home. On my way to San Po Kong, I said a decade of Rosary for the soul of my uncle and I think of how his soul migrates to the throne of our Lord.

The Byzantine liturgy is all pomp and ceremony. Joined by choirs of angels and saints, participants are brought across the threshold of God's Temple and enter into the presence of God. The Liturgy lasted for two hours of chanting and a lot of crossings ourselves, in the Byzantine manner from right to left. The deacons did a lot of impressive chanting and incensing. The Eucharist is leavened, not unleavened. Once, the Ukrainian priest remarked that the Romans were disciplined and efficient. This was demonstrated in the army, government as well as their liturgy. The Byzantine spirituality is different. They make encounter with God on earth.

My mind did not follow the gospel reading, which was taken from the Lukan story of 10 lepers. I was still thinking of the Matthean royal banquet. What makes us worthy of joining the heavenly banquet, my uncle, my mother and myself.
In my memory, my uncle had never visited Hong Kong and I have never known his ever hearing the Gospel. Christianity in the part of county where he lived has been unheard of. Therefore, when his soul arrived before the judgment seat of the Lord, he will not be judged according to the Christian standard. According to my understanding of the Catholic faith, so long as he had led his life according to his conscience, the merciful Lord will surely award him heaven. My uncle was living in a disadvantaged position because he did not have the scripture to give him guidance. He did not have the Church and the sacraments to strengthen and purify his soul so as to make him desire the Lord more. I can speculate all these because my uncle has departed. Such is not the case of my mother and myself. Though my mother refuses to hear the gospel on religious ground, I pray that the sweet Lord works in His mysterious way to deliver her soul.

Now, it is my turn. I must admit that I have not made good use of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I seldom go to confessions, not because I have no sins to confess. Rather, I tend to forgive my indulgences and shortcomings. Everyday I pierce my finger to get a drop of blood for the sugar test and I have to inject insulin four times. Sometimes, I would think of it as a penance for the sins I have committed. May the merciful Lord sanctify these routines to purify my soul. Studying the Bible and theology may have amplified the rationality tendency in my thinking and the rationalization of things I do. I have not paid enough attention to the needs and feelings of the people around me, especially Erminia my love. To a certain extent, I act in manners very much like my mother, dominating nearly everything within my reach. I know it is not good and I am still learning to let go. I am still learning to love the Lord more. I know that having a baptismal record in the Church perhaps can guarantee me an entrance into the hall of heavenly banquet to meet the guests for a short while. And I know that it does not guarantee that I will not be kicked out into the darkness outside.Yes. all these I know ...

Dear Lord, show Your mercy to the souls of my uncle and my mother. May they attain final reconciliation in Your bosom. While I am still on my pilgrimage, be with me and bless all the things I do to love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment