Translate

Sunday 26 April 2015

How much do we know our Shepherd/Leader?

It takes patience to read the writings of John. The text of Good Shepherd we read today (John 10:11-18) shows his style. Like a Russian doll, there are layer upon layers of meanings unfolding before our eyes.

He began with "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." (10:11)
Fair enough. Yet on a closer reading you will discover that he lays down his life NOT only for his sheep (10:3), but for the sheep, for all sheep! What does it mean? For me, Jesus has a large heart. At the moment of speaking, he had very few followers. But he was confident that eventually many more would follow him. He did not lay down his life for the good only but for all, even for those who betrayed him, denied him and crucified him. On the cross, Jesus prayed to the Father to forgive them all because "they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34). Jesus cares for all of us.

Further down, Jesus reveals another layer of meanings, another criterion for being a good shepherd.
"I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me." (John 10:14)
If you think of a shepherd as a leader, Jesus' intention was clear. If you want to be thought of as a good leader, you should know your followers and let your followers know you. At least, you should project such an image as to suggest that you are approachable. You door is always open to welcome criticisms etc.

No. when you think Jesus meant to teach you to be a strategically skillful leader, you are wrong. In the same breath, Jesus continues to lay down the ground rule. What did Jesus mean by "know"?
"as the Father knows me and I know the Father" (10:15a)
Remember that Jesus was a Jew and when a Jew says "know", he means more than intellectual knowledge. He means deeper than. I think the sentence should be read together.
"I know my own and my own know me as the Father knows me and I know the Father."

Bracket out the "I know my own and ... I know the Father", in the middle part, you will get
"my own know me as the Father knows me."
How is it possible for us to know Jesus as the Father knows him?
Jesus was talking about the intimate internal life of the Blessed Trinity which our understanding can never penetrate. What we can see is the external revelation of the Trinity. Within the Trinity, the Son and the Father are one (10:30). On the outside, the Father is greater than the Son (14:28)

I have to admit that I have not yet thoroughly understand the gospels. At this stage, I do not know Jesus much.

My Good Shepherd, illuminate my mind and set my heart on fire so that I can truly know you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment