Translate

Saturday 14 June 2008

Epiphany

Elijah ate and drank twice before he embarked on a 40-day journey from Beersheba to Mount Horeb (Mount Sinai) to receive God's revelation (1 Kings 19:5-8). This was the end of his glorious days, the end of his career. In Mount Horeb, he found a cave and stayed there. Then the word of Yahweh came to him.
"What are you doing here, Elijah?"
He said, "I have been very jealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the people of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thy altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."
(1 Kings 19:9b-10)
Interesting question, eh? How was it that God should ask Elijah what he was doing there? The all-knowing God should have known better than Elijah. Elijah was fleeing for his life and it was God who sent him here to receive revelation.
Elijah's answer was interesting as well. It was not an answer at all. It was rather a confession of his devotion (I have been very jealous for the Lord) and his plight (the people of Israel were seeking my life). Between the lines, Elijah was demanding compensation. See, I have been working among your people for you. They have rejected your covenant and me. What have become of me, a fugitive!
I am luckier. I teach RS in a Catholic diocesan school. Students do not take this as a covenant. Still, some students are working hard in the subject. Some don't and I am not yet a fugitive. My God, are my students Your people? I believe they are. But even the Israelites forsook Your covenant. So, I cannot blame some of my students for not putting enough effort in RS.
Then came a strong wind, an earthquake and fire, but each time, Yahweh was not in these elements. After the fire, there came a still, small voice (1 Kings 19:12b). Elijah felt the presence of Yahweh. Immediately, he wrapped his face with his mantle and went to the entrance of the cave.
A similar case took place in Exodus 33 where Moses demanded Yahweh to show him His glory. God granted his request but He would only allow Moses to see His back when He passed by. It is because no man could see the face of Yahweh and live (Exodus 33:20-23).
The same exchange between Yahweh and Elijah took place once more.
"What are you doing here, Elijah?"
He said, "I have been very jealous for the LORD, the God of hosts; for the people of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thy altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away."
(1 Kings 19:13b-14)
OK. God asked the same question once more probably because Elijah did not answer His question properly. Elijah sounded rather stupid to repeat the same answer once more!
I repeat, I have been working among your people for you. They have rejected your covenant and me. What have become of me, a fugitive!
It is puzzling why the author of 1 Kings repeated the materials twice. There must be some very important message he wanted to tell us. But what purpose did he want to achieve? Can someone tell me why the author repeated this dialogue twice?
This time, God revealed His plan. Before he retired, Elijah would go to the wilderness of Damascus to anoint three people. Hazael to be king over Syria, Jehu the son of Nimshi king over Israel and Elisha his successor (1 Kings 19:15c-16).
And him who escapes from the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay; and him who escapes from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay.
Yet I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him."
(1 Kings 19:17-18)
God takes an active part in the history of man and Jehu went down in the history of Israel as the slayer of Ahab's house. For the time being, Elijah went about his pre-retirement business. It is interesting to note that Elisha requested to kiss his parents goodbye before following Elijah (1 Kings 19:20). Jesus advised against even this (Luke 9:61-62). Of course, Elijah was only a man and Jesus is God. Definitely, Jesus is entitled to demand our total dedication whereas Elijah could not.

My Advocate, grant me an ear to discern the still, small voice of Yours. Not many of us are ready to surrender our totality. I pray for the young people in the church that they may gain enough understanding and strength to respond generously to Your call. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment