Translate

Friday 3 October 2008

Try to make sense of sufferings

Suffering is a mystery. Some can be explained, most not. People suffer the consequences of their own bad habits or indecent lifestyles. People also inflict sufferings on other people. People sometimes are simply unlucky. They appear at the wrong place at the wrong time and hit the jackpot. Most of the time, the poor are harder hit because they do not have enough security / policy to cover themselves. Job did not belong to this category. He was extraordinarily rich.
The sufferings of Job could not be explained. People could not consult a magician or conjure up a spirit in order to obtain the answer. Through no fault of his own, Job suffered because Satan and God were gambling in heaven, making use of Job as their stakes! Of course, this is a myth. When you can't explain anything, just quote God to make things reasonable. When you can't explain the sufferings of Job, quote God, saying that it was the will of God. Then Job's sufferings suddenly make sense.
Job would not suffer submissively and quietly. His conscience was clear. He had done no evils. Therefore, he wanted God to speak out what wrong he had committed. Only after then would Job accept his fate. At last, when God spoke, instead of enumerating the failings of Job, He counted the wonders of His work (Job 38:1-40:2). The following is a sample of the work of God.
Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements -- surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it?
(Job 38:2-3)
Have you commanded the morning since your days began, and caused the dawn to know its place,
that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth, and the wicked be shaken out of it?
(Job 38:12-13)
Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades, or loose the cords of Orion?
Can you lead forth the Mazzaroth in their season, or can you guide the Bear with its children?
(Job 38:31-32)
Do you give the horse his might? Do you clothe his neck with strength?
Do you make him leap like the locust? His majestic snorting is terrible
(Job 39:19-20).
After hearing God's words, Job surrendered.
Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer thee? I lay my hand on my mouth.
I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further
(Job 40:4-5).
But God did not stop, He continued for another two chapters. After that, Job repented.
I had heard of thee by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees thee;
therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
(Job 42:5-6)
No theological argument.  Job simply submitted himself to these new rigour.
It seems that God had not answered the questions. Instead, He simply reminded Job that he was but only a humble insignificant creature among many.

My dear Advocate, allow me to learn from Job. Let me understand that we are but insignificant creatures. We pledge to work hard and ask no more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment