Translate

Thursday 4 December 2008

Feast of St. Francis Xavier

Today the Catholic Church celebrates the Feast of St. Francis Xavier (1506-1552) who was one of the seven founders of the Society of Jesus. He is the patron saint of the missionaries. He was zealous in the preaching of the Gospel. Within a decade (1542-1552), St. Francis had covered a vast region in the East. His last journey was made to China. Unfortunately for China, St. Francis died at her doorstep on the island of Sancian (Shangchuan). The year St. Francis died, Matteo Ricci was born and China had to wait until 1582 to receive this Jesuit in Macau.
The missionary zeal of these two saints dwarfs most of us. Though I am an RS teacher in a Diocesan secondary school, converting my students has never been my major focus. Rather, I see myself teaching religious self-defence. Many unorthodox Christian churches are very active in the New Territories. Their interpretation of the Bible can be problematic. Therefore, my major concern is to equip my students with authentic orthodox Christian teachings so that they are able to protect themselves from heretics. However, in modern times, we need to respect the personal freedom of the students. It is unethical to force my interpretation down their throats. Consequently, my attitude towards uninterested students is one of tolerance. They are free to accept or reject the lessons I deliver. In front of these two missionary giants, not only do I feel inferior, I am also ashamed of my lack of missionary zeal.
My father-in-law is now attending catechumen class because a pastoral nun paid them a visit sometime ago. The nun is pretty old and that probably explains why she and my father-in-law are able to communicate with each other well. His vision is failing and narrowing. Yet, he is able to follow the lessons and begin reciting prayers.
The mother of my godson Joseph suffers from lung cancer. When she was hospitalized, she received baptism. Today, she underwent operation. God has bestowed abundant grace on her. As for Joseph, he is experiencing emotional swings. May God keep him and his family through these times of trials.
My mother is still wasting herself away with her drinking sprees. She is my root and is still pulling my legs. I am always hesitant. May God have mercy on both of us.
St. Paul said,
For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! (1 Corinthians 9:16b)
Why was preaching the gospel a necessity for St. Paul? He continued.
For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission (1 Corinthians 9:17).
It was a necessity because St. Paul felt it a commission entrusted to him.
How did St. Paul proceed with this commission?
To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law -- though not being myself under the law -- that I might win those under the law.
To those outside the law I became as one outside the law -- not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ -- that I might win those outside the law.
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 
(1 Corinthians 9:20-22)
This seems to be a very good piece of advice. Becoming one of them in order to win some over. However, how successful was Paul in winning over some Jews? The impression we get from The Acts of the Apostles is not very favourable. Wherever Paul went, he met enormous opposition from the Jews. It was understandable because Paul had betrayed their trust. Paul had turned from an active persecutor to a fervent defender of Christianity. For Jews, Christianity was heretic. Christians believed in more than one God. This was totally unacceptable in Judaism. Of course, Christians , and Paul for one, did not see themselves heretics. Jesus Christ was not one more God, but the living only God Himself. The failures among Jews did not mean failures. Rather. they meant benevolence for us Gentiles.
It would be unconvincing for me to evaluate the work of St. Paul. Suffice it to say that his advice, i.e. to become all things to all men, worked in China through Matteo Ricci

My dear Lord, You are merciful to the Chinese people. You sent Matteo Ricci to fulfill the dream of Martin Luther King Jr. in China. We praise You and pray to You to continue looking after the spiritual needs of Chinese. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment