Translate

Thursday 11 December 2008

What do you learn from Jesus?

Today, we read of the last three verses of Matthew 11. These verses have long been very consoling, especially for us who have burnt ourselves out in our work. Yet, under its soothing surface lies a great challenge. Let's read them in full.
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light
(Matthew 11:28-30)
These verses speak to us because at the moment, who does not labour, who are not heavy laden? Neither kings nor beggars, the rich or the poor, nobody is exempted. Each is laden with different burden.
These verses are soothing because Jesus will give us rest. As our Lord and our boss, he holds expectations on us. Yet, he is a gentle and humble boss. He promises us an easy yoke and a light burden. So, where comes the challenge? Serving a boss like Jesus is Paradise (Luke 23:43).
The challenge lies in learning from Jesus. What do you learn from Jesus? Moral theologians would tell us to follow his humility, purity, obedience, kindness, compassion for the needy etc. These qualities are human achievable. Am I too greedy to learn something else from Jesus? Read Isaiah,
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand and marked off the heavens with a span,
enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure and weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance?
(Isaiah 40:12)
It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in
(Isaiah 40:22)
Before Jesus calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee (Mark 4:39), he was actually sleeping on a cushion in a boat (Mark 4:38). In such adversity, Jesus was still in full control because he was the Creator of the Universe. Therefore, there is nothing too fearsome for Jesus to be afraid of. In Chinese, we have a comparable descriptor: 泰山崩於前而色不變。【心術‧蘇洵】
What about us? We were no creator of the universe, could we not be fearful of the situation? If I had all the trump cards, I would not be afraid. But is it necessary to hold ALL the trump cards. What if we have just a few. Are they enough?
Chinese ethicists talk a lot about the taming of the heart. When the heart is tamed, we will be able to make the right choice, have no regret of our actions and therefore have no fear. So, taming the heart is a trump card for us Chinese. As a Christian, we believe in the Lord who runs this universe. Therefore, there is nothing we should fear because the Lord will take care of us. For Christians, a strong faith in our Lord is a trump card. Therefore, as a Chinese Christian, I have two trump cards up my sleeve.

My Lord, You are my model and my teacher. You have an inexhaustible supply of inspiration. Guide me Your way home. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment