Translate

Tuesday 16 December 2008

The Story of Balaam

This is the first time I spent time reading the book of Numbers. I read the story of Balaam (Numbers 22-24). Probably only Numbers 24:17 is related to the Christmas story. It reads.
I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not nigh:
a star shall come forth out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel;
it shall crush the forehead of Moab, and break down all the sons of Sheth
(Numbers 24:17).
Matthew tries to prove that the birth of Jesus has fulfilled 5 prophecies from the Prophets:
  1. Born of a virgin --- Isaiah 7:14;
  2. Born in Bethlehem --- Micah 5:1
  3. Return from Egypt --- Hosea 11:1
  4. Massacre of the Holy Innocents --- Jeremiah 31:15
  5. Grow up in Nazareth --- (a despised, suffering servant) Isaiah 53 (???)
Either Matthew was not aware of the reference to a star in Numbers, or he confined his proof-texts to the Prophets, he had missed an important piece of evidence to show that Jesus was the Messiah. Anyway, today I am attracted by the lovely Balaam story. It has all the elements of fables, legends and theophany.
It all began when the Israelites were campaigning against the Moabites.
Balak the son of Zippor was king of Moab at that time, (Numbers 22:4)
As for the background of Balaam, Numbers is not very informative.
Balaam was the son of Beor at Pethor, which is near the River, in the land of Amaw (Numbers 22:5)
Balak sent for Balaam to help him curse the Israelites because, in Balak's words
"for I know that he whom you bless is blessed, and he whom you curse is cursed." (Numbers 22:6)
Balaam reported to God and God told him not to go.
God said to Balaam, "You shall not go with them; you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed."  (Numbers 22:12)
Therefore Balaam declined the invitation (Numbers 22:13).
Balak sent more honour and money. This time, God told Balaam to go.
If the men have come to call you, rise, go with them; but only what I bid you, that shall you do (Numbers 22:20).
When Balaam began his journey, God's anger was kindled because he went! (Numbers 22:22)
This was really mind-boggling. Didn't God tell Balaam to go with the princes sent by Balak? Why was God angry when Balaam followed His instruction? Did Balaam forget something? Should he wait for more explicit instruction from God? Men, we had better be careful when we are dealing with Yahweh. It seems that God does not want to see us taking things in our hands.
God sent an angel as an adversary against Balaam on the road. The ass Balaam rode was able to see the angel holding a drawn sword in his hand. The ass turned aside the road and walked onto a field. Balaam struck the ass to turn it back to the road. He was not able to see the angel.
Then they came to a narrow path between the vineyards. There were walls on both sides. The ass saw the angel again and she pushed against the wall, pressing Balaam's foot against the wall, probably to warn him. Again, Balaam struck the ass.
The angel jumped ahead of them. The ass refused to go further and Balaam was impatient and struck the ass with his staff for the third time. Now, the ass opened her mouth and started speaking to Balaam!
And the ass said to Balaam, "Am I not your ass, upon which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Was I ever accustomed to do so to you?" And he said, "No." (Numbers 22:30)
What amazed me was not only the ass that spoke, but also Balaam who engaged in a dialogue with the ass as a person! Suddenly, the whole story sounds very much like a fable.
Now God opened the eyes of Balaam so that he was able to see the angel. Balaam bowed and fell on his face (Numbers 22:31). After all, God was not truly angry with Balaam. He only had a further message to pass on to him.
And the angel of the LORD said to Balaam, "Go with the men; but only the word which I bid you, that shall you speak." So Balaam went on with the princes of Balak (Numbers 22:35).
The stage was set. God would bless the Israelites through the mouth of Balaam.
For three times, Balak moved to three different places, at each of which, Balaam told him to set up 7 pillars and sacrificed 7 bulls and 7 rams to appease Yahweh. Each time, instead of cursing Israel as Balak intended, Balaam blessed Israel. Balak asked Balaam he did such things to him, Balaam answered.
And he answered, "Must I not take heed to speak what the LORD puts in my mouth?" (Numbers 23:12)
But Balaam answered Balak, "Did I not tell you, `All that the LORD says, that I must do'?" (Numbers 23:26)
And Balaam said to Balak, "Did I not tell your messengers whom you sent to me,
'If Balak should give me his house full of silver and gold, I would not be able to go beyond the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of my own will; what the LORD speaks, that will I speak'?
(Numbers 24:12-13)
Balaam was a true prophet. He spoke what Yahweh put in his mouth. He did what Yahweh told him to do. He surrendered his own will, doing neither good nor bad of his own will but God's. This is possible only when you have established a direct line with God. Then, how do we build up such a line? I think it is through prayers and through reading the Bible.

My God, I tend to argue. I am too subjective. I still have a long way to go before I will be able to give up my own will. Help me, Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment