Translate

Wednesday 3 December 2008

It is difficult to be child-like

According to the gospel of Luke, Jesus appointed 70 other disciples to preach ahead of him (Luke 10:1). Later, they returned happily and shared their experience.
The seventy returned with joy, saying, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!" (Luke 10:17)
It was then that Jesus talked about the importance of remaining child-like.
In that same hour he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I thank thee, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to babes; yea, Father, for such was thy gracious will (Luke 10:21). 
Isaiah painted a peaceful landscape in the kingdom of the Messiah. A little child is already able to lead wolves and lambs, leopards and kids, lions and calves (Isaiah 11:6). It is legitimate for you to equate this little child with the Holy Child Jesus. But I don't think it is necessary to do so. In the reign of the Messiah, the land is so peaceful, so trouble-free that even a little child is capable enough to lead a country.
The sucking child shall play over the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den.
They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain;
for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD as the waters cover the sea
(Isaiah 11:8-9).
But how is it possible that the earth is full of the knowledge of the Lord?
Modern day experience tells us that people do not acknowledge God because doing so is not fashionable. It is superstitious. It is unscientific. In short, it is naive to believe in God. That was why Jesus urged his disciples to be child-like so as to receive God's revelation. Many people simply do not give God a chance; do not give themselves a chance.
To be child-like is easier said than done. We are not living in a computer virtual reality world. Ours is a world of flesh and blood, thus lust and aggression. Though I do not approve of my S5 students' dating, I respect their autonomy. It is their time and their life, not mine. Though I do not respect people who shoe-shine their bosses, I respect their survival needs. It is their bread and butter, not mine. Though I do not give my heart to serve those who are inept in exercising their authority, I pity them for the administrative position they land themselves in. It is their responsibility, not mine. Have mercy on me, Lord. I am too arrogant. I am lustful in other ways. I choose other tactics to save my own skin. I am aversive to the exercising of authority and am very annoying to my bosses. Of course, I cooperate and contribute my part, but only a few people have won my heart. I think I am a very difficult person to work with.

My Lord, I don't want to response to Your call out of frustration with my bosses. It is not a true renunciation but an escape. Give me more time to learn to be more understanding. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment