Translate

Saturday 12 December 2009

God is our Teacher

The Christian God is not an impersonal God. He is not some eternal laws inherent in the nature. He is a person. Through building up a relation with human being, He reveals Himself to them. He helps us to understand Him more. Still, we do not know why He is interested in us, why He is willing to die for us. There is a certain limit beyond which we do not know Him. Trying to make sense out of these extraordinary events, the Bible says it is because He loves us (John 3:16). He is love (1 John 4:8). So far, there is no better explanation than that.

Isaiah understood God at a different level.
Digression: I doubt whether such a statement is correct. Many times, God put His words in Isaiah's mouth. At least, this was the image Isaiah himself projected (Isaiah 6). If God puts His words in your mouth, you may not necessarily understand what you are talking about. The Jesus in Luke also promotes such an image (Luke 12:11-12).
End of Digression.
Isaiah painted us an image of God as a teacher in Isaiah 48.
Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go.
O that you had hearkened to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea;
your offspring would have been like the sand, and your descendants like its grains; their name would never be cut off or destroyed from before me."
 (Isaiah 48:17-19)
The image of a teacher in modern times is of course different from that in ancient time. But I believe that in ancient time, a teacher was very much a father-figure. Though a teacher might not provide for the daily necessities of his apprentices, a father in ancient time was very much like a teacher who passed on his skills to his pupils who happened to be his sons. Therefore, one may argue that Isaiah had painted us an image of God as a father. Indeed, St. Paul also reminded fathers to teach their children the right way of life in his epistle to the Ephesians.
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).

Though I am a teacher by profession, I do not think highly of my professional performance. As a father, I have done more poorly. When Wulstan was studying in Form 2 perhaps, I stupidly told him to read an English book and did a book report during the summer holiday. He retorted that he already had enough teachers in school. He did not want to have one more teacher at home. I was dumbfounded. From then on, I do not interfere with his studies any more. Though I know the benefits of English proficiency for his career, I try my best to refrain from imposing my ideas on him. He has to put in his efforts to build up a worldview on his own. Of course, he would have to travel on a more winding path before he could realize his dreams. He studies philosophy and I find his reasoning challenging.
The Israelites did not follow God's commandments. Yet, God never lost His patience and perseverance in moulding a saintly people. I begin to appreciate why Paul told fathers not to provoke their children to anger. After all, you only want them to learn and live. You don't want them to lose their temper and their life.
Tonight, we attended the vigil prayer for Rita. Her husband, Justice Joseph Yau wrote an open letter which was delivered by their niece. It was a touching eulogy and we could hear that it was written with a deep spirituality. Nobody was able to maintain their composure. The Chief Justice, Lee Kwok Nang, also came to pay the last respect.

Dear Lord, I did not pray enough for Rita while she was alive. I trust that her soul has found eternal peace in You and may we meet in the future in You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment