Translate

Tuesday 15 December 2009

Speaking one tongue again

People living in different parts of the world will naturally speak different languages. Given that language is the carrier of our thoughts and our thinking process, it is only naturally that different peoples should speak different languages. There are many factors affecting human languages. The physical and cultural environment in which man lives will provide the stimuli for man to generate his language.

Today, we took the first philosophy lesson taught by Fr. William Yip Hing Wah, an alumnus of my alma mater, Choi Hung Estate Catholic Secondary School. He casually mentioned the relation between language and thoughts. Of course, he did not talk about Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis which would be too radical. But he cited a few examples to show the sociological functions of language. For example, in English, there are only "uncles" and "aunts" to describe the siblings of the parents. However in Chinese, there are many more terms to differentiate the relationship of male and female relatives across several generations. In ancient time, clans lived as extended families. There was a need to define clearly the role each person played. This is just one example to demonstrate how modern people try to explain the socio-psychological functions of natural languages.

Genesis poses a problem for the readers to tackle. How could the descendants of one man, Adam, come to speak different languages? The story of Babel inGenesis 11 tries to explain just this. Out of ambition, pride and deception, men began to speak different languages.
I remember once I was approached by two swindlers, a man and a woman who spoke Putonghua. They posed as listed company executives who had lost contact with the local guide. It was already dark and they needed money to check into a hotel. They gave me their company cards and promised to pay me back once they were able to establish contact with their CEO in Hong Kong. At first, I spoke not-so-fluent Putonghua with them. Gradually, sensing their deception, I pretended to misunderstand and gradually did not understand their Putonghua anymore. What a Babel experience!

In the reading of Zephaniah today, there is an oracle about the remnant of Israel. They signify the end of time. The future Zephaniah foresaw has one particular feature not shared by the other prophets. I may be wrong. So far as I have read, Zephaniah seems to be the only person in the Old Testament who was concerned with the reunification of languages or the resolution of the disputes caused by the Tower of Babel. In the view of Zephaniah, at the end of time, peoples all over the world would be speaking in one (official) language, calling on the name of the Lord and serve Him with one heart and one mind. They understand each other because they speak the same language. Was it just a Utopia? Was it a prophecy of the effect of the descent of the Holy Spirit on the disciples?
Yea, at that time I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech, that all of them may call on the name of the LORD and serve him with one accord.
From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, the daughter of my dispersed ones, shall bring my offering
 (Zephaniah 3:9-10).

Dear Lord, forgive me for the trick I played on the Putonghua speaking couple I met. In fact, I could simply walk away without pretending. Lord, I pray for the Church that people gathered in her may worship You without obstacles in their hearts. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment