Translate

Friday 5 March 2010

It takes two to tango

We do not know the exact circumstances in which the books of the Bible were written. We only know that God and human authors were interacting in various ways while they were written. Today, we read chapter 17 of the book of Jeremiah.

We see God and Jeremiah tangoing together. Keeping in mind that there were no punctuation marks in the original text, we have to decide which parts were spoken by God and which by Jeremiah. Furthermore, books of prophets usually are collection of oracles. There is no plot to guide us which oracle goes first. The editors of the books have imposed a structure according to their own interpretations. Remember, the chapters and verses were imposed much later in modern time. We may disagree.

There are 27 verses in Jeremiah 17. Verses 11-18 are supposed to be words of Jeremiah. "Thus says the Lord" appears in verses 5 and 19. Still, from the contents, we can safely decide that verses 1-4 belong to God. Thus, we have finished the first step of study --- text delimitation. But I don't want to study it rationally. It does not do me much benefit. I want to pray with the text. So, I will focus on a few verses only.

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it?
I the LORD search the mind and try the heart, to give to every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings
 (Jeremiah 17:9-10).
Perhaps these words are the outcomes of the reflection of the people of their own experiences with God. Perhaps they had been cheated by many deceitful fellow countrymen and were resentful because they could not obtain any restitution. But they had faith in the righteousness of the Lord who understands the hearts of men and shall reward them accordingly.
What about me? What do these verses tell me?

Before You, O Lord, I can hide nothing. You even know me more than I do myself. Through interactions with my family members, friends and students, You reveal to me what I don't know about myself. Very often, I am rash. Slow me down so that I can learn more about interpersonal relationships, about myself and my weaknesses. Most of all, allow me to know You more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment