Translate

Sunday 30 December 2012

Admission to Permanent Diaconate Candidacy

At the anticipatory mass on the Feast of Holy Family, I was admitted among candidates of permanent deacons of the Hong Kong Catholic Diocese. Celebrating the occasion on this Feast is meaningful in a particular way for me. At twelve, Jesus was awaken to a new awareness of his destiny and true identity. Tonight also marks the beginning of a new level of my consciousness as a deacon candidate.

Way back in 1976, I offered my graduation gown on a Sunday Mass to express my wish to offer my talents to serve God. At that time, I was not dedicated enough to consider the vocation of priesthood. I met Erminia and got married. Due to an unhealthy life style, I contracted diabetes and plunged into depression. With the support of Erminia, I gradually emerged psychologically as well as physically. About 12 years ago, my three children were relatively independent. Saturnia, then the youngest daughter was  already primary three. At that time, Deacon Karl Tsang gave a talk to promote permanent diaconate among the parishioners. I was among the audience. Yet, God has a schedule for me. Erminia was pregnant again with Symphorian. So, God wanted me to be a dedicated husband and father rather than a permanent deacon, I thought.
In 2008 when Shung Tak celebrated her golden jubilee, an encounter with the Vicar General, Fr. Dominic Chan aroused in me again the vocation to serve the Church in the capacity of a permanent deacon. From then on, with the support of Erminia and my children, I embarked on my formation program as an aspirant. There are two major obstacles which I need to overcome: my poor health and my aversion to authority abuses. While I was contemplating the gospel reading of Jesus' sitting among the teachers in the Temple, the image of the poor widow offering two copper coins floated in my mind.
And he called his disciples to him, and said to them, "Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury.
For they all contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, her whole living."
 (Mark 12:43-44)

Jesus praised the poor widow because she loved the Lord her God with all her heart, with all her soul, with all her mind, and with all her strength (Mark 12:30), while the others loved God out of what they spared. This is a good lesson for all of us. We should not serve God only in our spare time, with our spare money. Like the poor widow, we should serve and love God even when we cannot spare our time and money. I should not wait until my health is totally recovered. I should not wait until my personality is perfect. I am fully aware that my diabetes is incurable and my morality is chronically flawed. God is actually granting me grace to cure my inadequacy. It is out there for me to grab. At least, for this moment, I partly realize that God is handing me the grace which I cannot even dream of. He is purifying and strengthening my health, my character, my relationship with Erminia, my children, my parents as well as the others, in particular with my mother. It is my redemption!

6 Deacons, 2 Parish Priest, Fr. Dominic Chan, V.G.
Erminia & Alex; Anthony & wife.
Sitting side by side with Erminia during mass, I was deeply moved in the liturgy. Many people came to congratulate and support me and Anthony Sin, another aspirant from St. Joseph Parish, Kowloon Bay. I did not deserve the honour granted me by the presence of 6 permanent deacons, other deacon candidates and aspirants, my classmates of the BRS program, well wishing parishioners and in particular, Peter Lo and his wife Joan all the way from Canada. My God touches me once more.

Dear Jesus, I am an unworthy servant. Make up what I lack to glorify You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment