Translate

Wednesday 27 July 2016

I Put God to the Test

Last Sunday, I preached in my homily not to pray for the recovery of relatives and friends who had fallen sick. Rather, following the teaching of the gospel, we should petition God to give them, the patient as well as his family members, the Holy Spirit to weather through the difficulties. On Monday, I secretly prayed for the recovery of Rosa! I was not able to practise what I preached! Worse, I put God to the test!

Monday before noon, I received a message from her daughter, saying that Rosa was on the brink of death. She wanted to call a priest. But for some unknown reasons, my phone did not ring. I read the message only at around 4:15 p.m. I called the parish priest immediately. On the other side of the phone, I was sure he was administering to Rosa the sacrament of Extreme Unction even though he did not mention it. I quickly cleared up my desk and rushed to the hospital. On the way, I was calculating. 1) I would teach the Catholic members of Rosa's family to say the Veni Sancte Spiritus. The Holy Spirit would give them strength. I was sure they would pray for the recovery of Rosa. I thought I was building up a fence of believers surrounding Rosa. 2) Perhaps I should pray for the intercession of Blessed Ozanam for the recovery of Rosa. That might be the second miracle Ozanam needed for canonization ...

When I arrived, the parish priest had left. The husband and daughter accompanied me in. Rosa's eyes were closed. Her breath was heavy and her throat choked. But her lips were red, not a colour of death. I became bold. Rosa's brothers and sisters and in-laws were surrounding. Only one sister is a Catholic, I think. I put my right hand on Rosa's head, held my mobile on the left and started saying Veni Sancte Spiritus in Latin. When I finished, I told them where they could locate the prayer in Chinese and I encouraged them to say the prayer and BOLDLY asked God for anything. I said that there were cases in the Bible in which God extended the life of a person for fifteen years! I was hinting at something. I was creating an unwarranted expectation. I did not stay long and left. I was forcing God's hand!

Tuesday afternoon, I received the death news. I was disappointed. Veni Sancte Spiritus did not work! I was disgraced before Rosa's family members. This Latin-speaking deacon was incompetent ... I am sorry God. I should not have forced your hand. Now, it backfires. I myself am to blame.

Wednesday evening, after saying the Vesper before going up to the catechumen class, I met Rosa's husband and daughter. They brought me God's mercy. Even though the husband is not a Catholic, he came along to give thanks to God because Rosa did not have to suffer long. One important element in the dying process was relieving to me. The family members said the Veni Sancte Spiritus once every half an hour through the night at her deathbed. Rosa was able to see, eyes closed, everybody she wanted to see before she passed away. Perhaps this was the true power of Veni Sancte Spiritus ... Her daughter also expressed the wish to know more about the religion her mother believed in. Overcome with emotion, I told her that a new catechumen class would start in September. The parish priest, Fr. Joseph Ng would be the chief instructor ...

I praise you, Lord. You have shown me your mercy and wisdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment