Translate

Sunday 1 February 2009

And what is faith?

Of her two sons, I am my mother's favourite. I am more obedient, more submissive to her demands. My friends would describe her as domineering. My younger brother spent about seven years of his formative years boarding at Aberdeen Technical School. Therefore, he is more autonomous, more independent-minded. Yet, it was I who got married and my younger brother remains single, still living and taking care of her. I am building up my own family whereas my younger brother would not have his. Of course, many factors have come into play and it is impossible to analyze or pass judgment on who is right, who is wrong. However, one thing is certain. My faith in people is weak.
Meeting Erminia has been a blessing for me. She is able to boost my faith in God and in men. This is something my mother has not given me. I cannot blame her because she is also a product of her own generation. As the eldest daughter of a well-off business man, she was confident and had several maidens to serve her. She was generous in showering people with favours so that they should be grateful and respectful to her in return. She does not have faith in people. As a wife, she has suffered enough hardship with a low-income shopkeeper, my beloved father. It was a remarkable feat. As a mother, she needs to put all her bets on her sons. This explains her being domineering. Still I love her and miss her absence which I created myself. I moved away from her to a far away place immediately after marriage. It took my diabetes to reconcile my mother and me. My diabetes is really a blessing in disguise. Not only did it improve the relationship between my mother and me, it enhances my faith in God.
Hebrew 11 deals extensively with the faith of most of the prominent figures in the Old Testament: Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Jason, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets ... It sheds light on how the people of the New Testament understood faith in God. But it is interesting that Joshua was not mentioned by name and among the women, Sarah and Rahab were highlighted. A particular verse is interesting.
Women received their dead by resurrection (Hebrews 11:35a).
Probably this refers to the widows whose sons were raised by Elijah, Elisha and even Jesus.
Then the author continues to describe persecutions suffered by the prophets, the people under tyranny, perhaps as well as Christians tortured under the Roman Empire.
Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, that they might rise again to a better life.
Others suffered mocking and scourging, and even chains and imprisonment.
They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, ill-treated --
of whom the world was not worthy -- wandering over deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth
(Hebrews 11:35b-38).
Speaking to his readers, the author encourages them to persevere, to be patient.
And all these, though well attested by their faith, did not receive what was promised,
since God had foreseen something better for us, that apart from us they should not be made perfect
(Hebrews 11:39-40).
Faith sustains them. At the moment, they have not yet received what has been promised. Yet God has something better for them. Be patient.

Dear Lord, I believe in You. I trust that You have better things in store for us, things we dare even to dream of. Lord, I entrust my parents, my brother, my wife and my children into Your hand. I do believe. Help me believe more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment