Translate

Monday 16 February 2009

My brother's keeper

Today is the Monday of the 6th Ordinary Week. The first psalm we recite in the Laud of the Office is Psalm 42, the first psalm of Book 2 of the Psalms. Nothing usual happened when I read this psalm in the morning. Back to school, we had hymn singing during lunch time in the school chapel. Rosanna chose the hymns and the first song we sang was a Christian hymn "As a deer". I was overpowered by a sudden emotional surge. I could not contain my tears when we came to that part of the lyrics. I covered my mouth with my right hand, trying to suppress my sobs and I was unable to sing that line.
"You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship Thee."
Oh, my God. You have touched me. You are telling me to wake up to Your call.
We sang several other hymns as well. Near the end, I requested the whole group to sing "As a deer" again. My tears gushed out again. I could not resist.
I searched the Internet and located from YouTube a video clip of "As a deer". I listened to it. Nothing happened. I broke down only while I was singing that hymn. I told Erminia. She said music is really very powerful.
I sat down to read the first murder case in human history. It was fratricide. Cain the elder brother killed Abel.
Cain was a farmer and Abel was a shepherd. Cain brought an offering of fruits to God and Abel the firstlings of his flock.
And the LORD had regard for Abel and his offering,
but for Cain and his offering he had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell
(Genesis 4:4b-5).
Some people tease the Christians and say that God loves lamb chops rather than fruits. It is not true. They have not read the Bible story carefully enough. God loves Abel and his offering, not the other way round. The person goes first. Cain probably did things badly and God had no regard for him.
It is the first time anger enters the Bible. There are various reasons people become angry. In the case of Cain, he was probably short of reasons and used anger to get his way.
The LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry, and why has your countenance fallen?
If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is couching at the door; its desire is for you, but you must master it."
(Genesis 4:6-7)
Yes, if we do well, there is no need of anger. We will find acceptance in God. If we do not do well, we invite disasters.
Cain did not listen to the counsel of God. Instead of mastering his own shortcomings, he directed his anger to his brother and killed Abel.
Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" He said, "I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?" (Genesis 4:9)
Of course God knew what had happened. Once again, He gave Cain an opportunity to explain himself. Again, Cain was unable to make use of this opportunity to repent. He denied his guilt and his own responsibility. Of course, Cain was the keeper of Abel. When brothers work together heart to heart, they are invincible 兄弟同心,其利斷金。 Yet, he rejected this responsibility and opportunity. What a pity!

My Lord, the time has probably come. You have visited me and touched me. Take my hand and lead me on. Amen.

Appendix:
Psalm 42 (RSV)To the choirmaster. A Maskil of the Sons of Korah.
As a hart longs for flowing streams, so longs my soul for thee, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?
My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me continually, "Where is your God?"
These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help
and my God. My soul is cast down within me, therefore I remember thee from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep at the thunder of thy cataracts; all thy waves and thy billows have gone over me.
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love; and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.
I say to God, my rock: "Why hast thou forgotten me? Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?"
As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?"
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.
Lyrics of "As a deer"As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after Thee
You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship Thee

You’re my friend and you are my brother
Even though you are a king
I love you more than any other
So much more than anything
You alone are my strength, my shield
To you alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship Thee

I want you more than gold or silver
Only you can satisfy
You alone are the real joy giver
And the apple of my eye
You alone are my strength, my shield
To you alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart’s desire
And I long to worship Thee

No comments:

Post a Comment