Translate

Thursday 26 February 2009

Ash Wednesday 2009

We begin the season of Lent today. I pray that I will be able to hear God's call more clearly at the end of this season. Of course, God works in a different time-frame and I am in no position to force His hand. Otherwise, I am putting Him to the test.
It is not difficult to know God's will. It is plainly written in the Bible. The only problem is how to apply it in our daily life.
"Yet even now," says the LORD, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
and rend your hearts and not your garments."
(Joel 2:12-13a)
God wants us to return to Him, including me of course. The procedure is not extraordinarily difficult, just fasting, weeping and mourning. Unlike martyrdom, we don't need high moral courage to follow the procedure. But our God demands our hearts. He doesn't want us to do it superficially as we often do. Out of inertia, we are reluctant to take the first step to do better, to walk the extra mile. For our good, God wants us to do it sincerely and whole-heartedly. Does He need our fasting? Does He need our tears? Of course not. So, why does God care so much about our doing it seriously? I don't think anybody can answer this question satisfactorily. Who knows God's mind?
As a teacher, I always see my image and likeness in my students! They are lazy in doing their assignments. I am complacent about what I use to be doing. Do I need their homework? Of course not. Does God need my repentance? Of course not. Times and again, I am annoyed by the laziness of my students but my 'anger' subsides quickly not because I am soft or merciful like God. Instead, I feel sorry for them. What have happened to these Band One students? Why have they not developed good enough study habits to fulfil their obligations as students? I cannot say I understand God. But at least, I begin to appreciate what it feels like to be let down repeatedly throughout ages immemorial. In this season of Lent, God is calling us once more to live like a decent dignified man should. It is for our good and it is our turn to act.
Then Joel switches from speaking in 1st person to the 3rd person, asking a very pertinent question. What are the chances of sinners repenting?
Who knows whether he will not turn and repent, and leave a blessing behind him, a cereal offering and a drink offering for the LORD, your God? (Joel 2:14)
A chance is a chance. Giving man a second chance opens the possibility for him to improve, to change for the better.
This evening, we attended the Ash Wednesday mass celebrated by Fr. Martin Ip to begin this Lent season. Surprisingly, the church was full-house. Indeed, God's grace is abundant. Many parishioners feel the need to turn to God sincerely. In his homily, Fr. Martin shared a few stories about effecting changes, not through punishment, but through loving care. He mentioned the story of Fr. Peter Newbery, a Salesian priest cum out-reaching social worker. Fr. Newbery used to teach English. One of his students always slept in class. He was annoyed and pounded on the boy's desk, asking him why he slept in his class all the time. The boy retorted that he was tired. Fr. Newbery sent him down to the playground to run 50 laps and returned to the classroom to do 50 press-up's. The boy finished defiantly and was sent down again several times, doing the same routine. The boy hardened each time he returned. Several years later when Fr. Newbery visited the prison. He met this student again. Fr. Newbery had matured and he asked him warmly how his prison life was. Tears ran down from the student. He too had matured. Fr. Martin concluded that God chose to treat us mercifully so as to transform our hardened souls. We too should treat each other mercifully.

My Lord, You have been very patient with me, allowing me room to mature. I pray to devote my remaining days to love You and serve You more. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment