Translate

Monday 23 March 2009

God suffers patiently

We have parted company, my boss and me. Don't be alarmed. I have NOT resigned. After "suffering" for more than 9 years under the wrong choice of using Chinese as the Medium of Instruction for the RS (2000) syllabus, I have been longing to use English in the teaching of the upcoming New Senior Secondary Ethics & Religious Studies. No! My request was denied. Fine. I will NOT resign for this reason. I will continue my teaching in Shung Tak as long as God allows me.
Last Friday, after the hunger meal activity, my boss thanked us for a job well done. However, it sounded very hollow. The hard feelings generated a day earlier by her scolding Agnes for more than 45 minutes, were still fresh.
Why should I be so stupid as to take an active role in my school work when my efforts have been wasted and unappreciated? Probably, this was what God felt in His dealing with the stiff-necked Israelites.
I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me; I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me.
I said, "Here am I, here am I," to a nation that did not call on my name.
I spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people, who walk in a way that is not good, following their own devices;
a people who provoke me to my face continually, sacrificing in gardens and burning incense upon bricks;
who sit in tombs, and spend the night in secret places; who eat swine's flesh, and broth of abominable things is in their vessels;
who say, "Keep to yourself, do not come near me, for I am set apart from you."
(Isaiah 65:1-5b)
I am not God. God could blast Israel and Judah, put the inhabitants to the swords. I could not. Therefore, I should suffer patiently and quietly because I am a Catholic. Right?
To be true to myself, I will continue to sit in Edmund's lessons. Hopefully, I can help him improve his classroom management skill which the boss has already found fault with. My S.5 classes have gone to prepare for their HKCEE. I can have more free time to prepare for the Ethics & Religious Education teaching materials next year. In the meantime, I will continue to clarify if God really wants me to serve  Him in the capacity of a perpetual deacon. Last Sunday, I talked with Fr. Lajeune and sought his advice. He has reservation about the whole concept of perpetual deaconship. He thinks that this is the work of ordinary Catholics and it is not appropriate to absorb it into the church hierarchy. Of course, he knows that he is in no position to oppose God's call. He will pray for me.
For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.
But be glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.
No more shall there be in it an infant that lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, for the child shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
They shall build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit
(Isaiah 65:17-21).
I am not God and I will not play God. If it is God's will, He will bless my work and see it through.

My God, You promise to answer me before I call, hear while I am yet speaking (Isaiah 65:24). You want me to call and speak so that I may understand Your will better. Remove my stubbornness and put me on Your path. Amen.


Comment by Parsimony:

Because someone will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment