Translate

Saturday 14 March 2009

God is our hope

Today, we read the book of Micah, a contemporary of Isaiah. Micah means "who is like (Yahweh)?" He gave us glimpses of the true nature of God. While Isaiah came from the upper class, Micah was a prophet of the grassroots. Therefore, he was sympathetic towards the poor and downtrodden and criticized the rich for their exploitation of the poor. Micah is one of the twelve Minor Prophets and his book is a collection of oracles. Since it is impossible to determine the context of these oracles and bearing in mind that prophets did not see everything, it is impossible for us to know for sure the true meaning of these oracles. Throughout the ages, people have been puzzled by some of their visions because the things mentioned were unimaginable at that time. We have to wait patiently until these things actually happen and we will marvel at the truthfulness of God's words. Take the following verses as an example.
Put no trust in a neighbor, have no confidence in a friend;
guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your bosom;
for the son treats the father with contempt, the daughter rises up against her mother, the daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies are the men of his own house
(Micah 7:5-6).
It would be impossible for people living in agricultural societies to dream of children rising up to accuse their parents and friends betraying friends in order to save their own skin. Yet, in totalitarian countries of the last century, we see amply examples of such assaults against traditional family ties. Such were the tragedies of Cultural Revolution in the sixties in mainland China. So, how do we survive such irrationality? What is the advice of Micah?
But as for me, I will look to the LORD, I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me (Micah 7:7).
God is the hope of Micah. Yahweh is also our hope.
But we must remember our sinful state.
I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me forth to the light; I shall behold his deliverance (Micah 7:9).
While we are waiting for our hope, His deliverance, we should wait patiently and bear His indignation. We must pay the full price for our transgressions. Until then, our deliverance will come. Meanwhile, we should not lose hope. We have full confidence in our God.
Who is a God like thee, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger for ever because he delights in steadfast love (Micah 7:18).
God is just. He is angry with evils. But He will not be angry forever. He delights in mercy. Therefore, our God will pardon our iniquity and transgression. In His mercy we trust.
In the fullness of time, God sent Jesus to demonstrate His mercy on sinners. He becomes our safety valve and always gives us a second chance. Therefore, in this season of Lent, let us repent and turn to God. Reconcile to Him and lead a saintly life, a life acceptable to God.

My God, who is like You, delightful in Your mercy and pardoning our transgressions? Let us seek You while You can be found so that we can encourage and strengthen our brothers. When I am depressed, You always cheer me up with surprises. I thank You for today, You sent three of my past students to cheer me up. I pray for my present and past students. May they also find delights in Your words. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment