Translate

Wednesday 25 March 2009

Feast of Annunciation 2009

Just imagine, what if the Blessed Virgin Mary refused to become the mother of the Saviour, without her cooperation, would God be able to save the world, to redeem the fallen mankind? Would men be doomed forever to the inextinguishable fire of hell?
Well, I don't think we should worry too much about such an eventuality. If the Mary of Nazareth refused, God would continue His search for another candidate until one was found. Whatever her name might be, the salvation plan would unfold accordingly.
However, would God leave it to chance? No way. God had to find ways to fulfill His promise made to Adam.
I will put enmity between you (the Serpent) and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel (Genesis 3:15).
God must have, from eternity, chosen a woman and equip her for such a mission. First of all, she is free from the contamination of the Original Sin. She is immune from the tendency of committing sins. She will provide an immaculate environment, physical as well as spiritual, to nurture the future Saviour. Her answer to the annunciation from Gabriel was to be expected.
And Mary said, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her (Luke 1:38).
What else would Mary say? Therefore, the Catholic Church embraces the dogma of Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
When God calls, who can resist? Let's consider Moses.
God called Moses to bring the Israelites out of Egypt. Moses had tried to decline with many excuses but in the end, he submitted.
But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11)
Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" (Exodus 3:13)
Then Moses answered, "But behold, they will not believe me or listen to my voice, for they will say, 'The LORD did not appear to you.'" (Exodus 4:1)
But Moses said to the LORD, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either heretofore or since thou hast spoken to thy servant; but I am slow of speech and of tongue." (Exodus 4:10)
But he said, "Oh, my Lord, send, I pray, some other person." (Exodus 4:13)
God's patience was driving thin. His anger was kindled against Moses and he submitted (Exodus 4:14).
Take the case of Gideon. When God called him to fight against the Midianites to deliver Israel, Gideon asked God for a sign, not once but twice (Judges 6:36-40)! So, if God has chosen you, you can demand anything from God!
The case of Samuel was simpler because he was only a young boy when God called him. Under the guidance of Eli, Samuel responded in the right way and established a life-long bond with God.
And the LORD came and stood forth, calling as at other times, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for thy servant hears." (1 Samuel 3:10)
Here, we hear something similar to Mary's answer.
The case of Isaiah was extra-terrestrial. In his vision, he was transported to the court in heaven. He felt his sinfulness and lamented.
And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!" (Isaiah 6:5)
Here, we hear something similar to Simon Peter after the miraculous catch (Luke 5:8).
And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me." (Isaiah 6:8)
God did not call Isaiah directly. But who else was in the court of heaven, but Isaiah? Isaiah would have remained silent and uncommitted. Yet, he volunteered!
There are many more cases to contemplate. But it is enough for today. When God has chosen His servants or handmaids, He will surely prepare them for their mission. In all cases, God will give them signs. Let us keep all our senses open and be prepared.

My Lord, I pray for my father. He is getting fragile. His younger brother passed away last week. Grant my father peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment