Translate

Wednesday 11 March 2009

The bitterness of Jeremiah

Scholars treat Jeremiah as a prototype of Jesus. He was sent by God to speak unpopular warnings to the Jews. Naturally, nobody listened to him and everybody continued their wicked ways. God put words in his mouth. Jeremiah could not resist speaking them.
Then the LORD put forth his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, "Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.
See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant
(Jeremiah 1:9-10).
Jeremiah's work was not totally destructive. Besides plucking up and breaking down, he built and planted. He tried to destroy and overthrow the wickedness of the people. His final target was to build and plant God's righteousness in them. Yet, Jeremiah had not succeeded. Despite the effort of God, the people were doomed.
So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you (Jeremiah 7:27).
Can you feel the frustration and bitterness of Jeremiah? He was speaking to a doomed people. Why did God put in so much effort when it was going to be wasted? It seems that this is the destiny of prophets. How should Jeremiah deal with these words which God had put in his mouth? Listen to what Jeremiah prayed.
O LORD, thou knowest; remember me and visit me, and take vengeance for me on my persecutors.
In thy forbearance take me not away; know that for thy sake I bear reproach.
Thy words were found, and I ate them, and thy words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart;
for I am called by thy name, O LORD, God of hosts
(Jeremiah 15:15-16).
Jeremiah knew very well that he was chosen by God to bear reproach for His sake. He had to make do with the situation. He made a virtue of necessity. He made God's words a joy and the delight of his heart. What did it mean?
God's words can be a source of joy and delight, if only we are doing His will, following His path. If instead we follow our own desires and depart from God's instructions, what do you expect?
O LORD, the hope of Israel, all who forsake thee shall be put to shame; those who turn away from thee shall be written in the earth, for they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living water.
Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved; for thou art my praise
(Jeremiah 17:13-14).
So, here is the joy and delight. God is the fountain of living water. He heals and we are in need of His healing. We shall be healed. We shall be saved when we call on the Lord.
Then they said, "Come, let us make plots against Jeremiah, for the law shall not perish from the priest, nor counsel from the wise, nor the word from the prophet. Come, let us smite him with the tongue, and let us not heed any of his words."
Give heed to me, O LORD, and hearken to my plea.
Is evil a recompense for good? Yet they have dug a pit for my life. Remember how I stood before thee to speak good for them, to turn away thy wrath from them
(Jeremiah 18:18-20).
Though the people persecuted Jeremiah, he spoke good for them to turn away God's wrath from them. Jesus taught us to do the same. Instead of venting our hatred towards those who give us troubles, pray for them because God does not find pleasure in seeing them die.
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust
(Matthew 5:44-45).
It is not for us to pass judgment on who is just and who unjust. Leave it to God. Our duty is simply to pray for the good of all people, be they our friends or enemies. God will take care of the rest.

My Lord, may Your words bring us joy and delight to cheer up my heart. May they turn my bitterness into sweetness. Speak, O Lord, speak. Your servant is here to listen. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment