Translate

Saturday 13 February 2010

God punished Solomon

Let me catch up with what I had left unread yesterday, 1 Kings 11.
Solomon was diplomatic in forming marriage alliances with his neighbours so as to secure an international peaceful environment for the prosperity of Israel. Obviously, he became addicted to sleeping with alien women.
He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart (1 Kings 11:3).
This reminds me of the teaching of St. Paul in the First Epistle to the Corinthians.
"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12).
"All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up (1 Corinthians 10:23).
St. Paul warned us twice on the danger of addiction not without reasons. King Solomon was a vivid example. He had to please his wives and built high places on the mountain east of Jerusalem to offer sacrifices to their gods (1 Kings 11:7-8)! God was angry with Solomon. He raised three enemies against Solomon. Hadad the Edomite disturbed Israel from Egypt (1 Kings 11:14-23), Rezon the son of Eliada from Syria (1 Kings 11:24-25). Solomon himself put his servant, Jeroboam the son of Nebat, in charge of the forced labour of the house of Joseph (1 Kings 11:26-28). Jeroboam was destined to tear 10 tribes away from the hand of the son of Solomon.

Perhaps this was the third apparition of God to Solomon.
Therefore the LORD said to Solomon, "Since this has been your mind and you have not kept my covenant and my statutes which I have commanded you, I will surely tear the kingdom from you and will give it to your servant.
Yet for the sake of David your father I will not do it in your days, but I will tear it out of the hand of your son.
However I will not tear away all the kingdom; but I will give one tribe to your son, for the sake of David my servant and for the sake of Jerusalem which I have chosen."
 (1 Kings 11:11-13)
God punished Solomon but He spared him the pain of punishment in his life. God would tear up the Kingdom after his death. God would also leave his son one tribe (actually two), for the sake of David and Jerusalem, His seat. When the door is slammed closed, God leaves us windows.

One day, when Jeroboam went out of Jerusalem, he met the prophet Ahijah the Shilonite on the road. Ahijah tore his new garment into twelve pieces to symbolize the twelve tribes of Israel. He gave ten to Jeroboam. Through the lips of Ahijah, God made a promise to Jeroboam.
And I will take you, and you shall reign over all that your soul desires, and you shall be king over Israel.
And if you will hearken to all that I command you, and will walk in my ways, and do what is right in my eyes by keeping my statutes and my commandments, as David my servant did, I will be with you, and will build you a sure house, as I built for David, and I will give Israel to you 
(1 Kings 11:37-38).
God's requirement was simple. Hearken to all that He commands, and walk in His ways and do what is right in God's eyes by keeping His statues and His commandments. God will be with you. Indeed, Solomon did not murder, nor did he commit adultery like his father David. Solomon's only fault was to worship idols and that was enough.
God punishes but always leaves room for repentance. He punishes but not forever.
And I will for this afflict the descendants of David, but not for ever (1 Kings 11:39).
Solomon reigned for forty years. After his death, Rehoboam his son reigned in his stead (1 Kings 11:43). The age of Divided Kingdom began.

Dear Lord, You punish us to chasten us of our sins. You remember the good deeds of the fathers and treat their children leniently. We thank You for Your mercy. Let us return to the right path. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment