Translate

Wednesday 24 February 2010

My brother's keeper

Today is the last teaching day for the S5 students. They will sit for their Mock Examination tomorrow.
Among the S5 Arts classes, 5M is the weakest and I have been teaching them RS since last year. Many of them are not interested in the subject because they are low-achievers. They are not interested in many other subjects as well. At least, this is how I explain to myself and keep myself up. As a teacher, especially an RS teacher, I cannot give them up even when they seem to have given up the subject.
I finished the revision of the syllabus and there were 10 minutes left. They were eager to take pictures on these last few days. Their mood was festive. This seems to be a tradition the school tolerates. They gave me a surprise present, a big greeting card on which there were 4 big Chinese characters「天主愛你」God loves you. Moreover, each student wrote a few lines of gratitude to me! How heart warming! Most of them thank me for my perseverance. They appreciate that I have not given them up.
After school, another surprise came. While I was burying my head over a difficult essay, somebody knocked on my shoulder. It was Eddie Kwok whom I had taught for 3 years! Our relation had been sour for reasons which I had mentioned in my earlier blog entries. I feel I owe him a pleasant school life and have been looking for opportunities of reconciliation. Today, Eddie wore a smile and was nicely dressed. He is repeating S5 in another school and came back to meet his girl-friend. I told Eddie to support each other with his girl-friend and wished him good results in the coming exam. It is another heart warming present from God!

We are our brothers' keepers, even though sometimes we shun the responsibility. We have many excuses but God wants none of them.
Jonah was a legendary prophet, perhaps a fictitious one. His story is well known.
Jonah disliked the people of Niveveh because they were evil in his eyes as well as God's. Still, God finds no pleasure in seeing sinners perish.
Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord GOD, and not rather that he should turn from his way and live? (Ezekiel 18:23)
For I have no pleasure in the death of any one, says the Lord GOD; so turn, and live (Ezekiel 18:32)
Therefore God sent Jonah to warn the people of Niveveh.
Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness has come up before me (Jonah 1:2).
Jonah shunned the mission and fled by sea. But who can run away from the presence of the Lord? God stirred up a storm to wreck Jonah's ship and at last, sent a big fish to swallow Jonah and delivered him directly to Niveveh. What else could Jonah do? Now, his life was bundled up with that of Niveveh. If Niveveh perished, Jonah perished. If our brothers perish, we perish. But usually, we don't see it this way. What a pity!
The people of Niveveh believed in Jonah's proclamation. They fast and repented (Jonah 3:5). Then, the king was alerted and proclaimed a decree for fasting and repentance. How democratic!
The decree ended with this line.
Who knows, God may yet repent and turn from his fierce anger, so that we perish not? (Jonah 3:9)
Who can tell if God will turn and repentand turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not? (KJV)
מִי-יוֹדֵעַ יָשׁוּב וְנִחַם הָאֱלֹהִים וְשָׁב מֵחֲרוֹן אַפּוֹ, וְלֹא נֹאבֵד
Once more, the KJV translation is more loyal to the Hebrew text.
God is patient. He gives us time to turn away from our sins. However, man is impatient. He does not give his brothers time to turn away from their shortcomings. Two years, four years. It takes a long time for men to change. In fact, a lot of changes have been going on without our notice. How can we not give our brothers time to accomplish their changes?

Dear Lord, I thank You for the surprise gifts You have generously bestowed on me. Surely, You have been merciful to me and cheer me up always. Assist me in accomplishing the mission You assign me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment