Translate

Sunday 20 June 2010

Father's Day 2010

Today, Jesus asked his disciples two crucial questions.
Who do the people say that I am? (Luke 9:18b)
In the eyes of the people, who are you following? This question is important but not as crucial as the second one.
When the society becomes more highly developed, people are unable to know each other thoroughly. They rely on labels. So, you are a teacher, a professional, a Catholic, a liberal Democrat and a father of four etc. From these identities, people can safely expect you to follow certain norms and act within a certain pattern of behaviours. They expect you to be punctual, articulate in speech, highly intelligent, rational, conservative in morality and very disciplined etc.
Therefore, when Jesus asked his disciples what labels people stuck on him, he was gauging the expectations people had on him and his disciples.
And they answered, "John the Baptist; but others say, Elijah; and others, that one of the old prophets has risen." (Luke 9:19)
The Jews looked up to Jesus as a prophet and expected him to act like the prophets of old, challenging the evil conducts of people in authority, working miracles, teaching God's messages and turning the hearts of the people back to God. Jesus had done all these well. But this was not the most crucial point. Here comes the most crucial question.

And he said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" (Luke 9:20a)
This question is the most crucial for all of us. It challenges us to reflect on our personal relationship with Jesus.
The Synoptic gospels record Peter's answer.
Peter answered him, "You are the Christ." (Mark 8:29b)
Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." (Matthew 16:16)
And Peter answered, "The Christ of God." (Luke 9:20b)
Taking into consideration the theological outlooks of the three Christian communities, these answers reveal their common understanding of the role of Jesus. Jesus is Christ, the Anointed One of God. It may mean that Jesus is their Saviour, delivering them from the Roman occupation. It may mean that Jesus is their Lord, bringing in the Kingdom of God on earth. It may mean ...
But what is our personal relationship with Jesus at this moment?

At this moment, we receive the Holy Communion. In our daily life, we work towards a complete union with Jesus. What is Jesus is what will become of us. In our daily life, Jesus acts and speaks through us.
Jesus has never fathered any children. Yet, he is the father of his disciples. He patiently teaches them, guards them and gives up his life for them. On this Father's Day, it is meaningful to reflect on how to fulfil the role of a father like Jesus has done.
Today, the two choirs threw a surprise birthday party for me. After mass, I found myself suddenly surrounded by the members of the two choirs. They sang a birthday song for me, gave me presents, hugs and kisses. Other parishioners joined them. I was overwhelmed. I thanked the Lord. I thanked them all. Their warmth affirms my contribution to this community. It is the best Father's Day and birthday I ever have.

Dear Lord, I totally surrender myself to You. Act and speak through me so that Your face may shine forth. I pray for my father and all fathers, physical as well as spiritual. Grant them good health and strong spirit to better discharge Your love of us all. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment